BBC article about changing plugs

pscandrett

• 3 weeks later...
off topic but is it true that the white powder inside cable is rat poison?

I believe it's french chalk, isn't it?

:blink: doesn't have much to say either way as to whether it's french chalk or rat poison.

Just last week at college we had our exams, and they as you might expect from a Stage Management course included - Lighting set up and operation, Sound set up and operation, Stagecraft, Stage Management and ... the plug, where we have to take apart a plug and put it back together within 15 minutes. This is done to PAT testing standard, and as you might have guessed many people fail it first time around. At least the test is done though, it's a highly valuable, if not basic skill to have.

I'm sure the time thing isn't the bit that's worrying here!

But it's the fact that people doing technical related training and exams etc can't rewire a plug, or to a safe standard, even in 15 minutes :blink:

Guest lightnix
... where we have to take apart a plug and put it back together within 15 minutes.
Without meaning to offend.....15 minutes?? :mods:

Maybe a tad generous, but not unreasonable. It takes me about 15 minutes to make up a plug or socket from scratch, although I do do a couple of :) things like applying Loctite 242 to all the screws.

Anyway, it's not about how fast you can do it, but how well ;)

Archived