"Hemp Flying"

Kevin Robertson

The guidance in the Yellow Book, the ABTT code of practice for Flying (and the new BS I keep referring to) deal with this.

In the case of hemp sets with alloy barrels, you need to consider the load, spans, likely failure and consequences of the failure.

Legally, there is a requirement to do that (risk assessment) and to do whatever is reasonably possible to reduce the risk of such a situation occurring.

To start over with the same thread again is crazy.

All this information is already in the threads.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....and the new BS I keep referring to...

Chris

a couple of questions on this...

1. searching the BSI site shows a BS7906:2 2000; is the new :1 version much different or aimed at a different 'target'?

2. do you know when :1 is going to be published?

3. are there going to be any moves to incorporate it into a more 'user friendly' format (ABTT CoP)?

I think I know the theatre you mean... (see also PM)

30 Kgs is very low. Does the safety notice say 30Kg per hemp set or per line?

Agreed - I shall check the next time I am in the theatre. I must admit that it was a quick glance.

I'm pretty sure that was per line.
I'd start wearing your hard hat on stage if I were you! Or better yet just stay out of the way.
All good advice irrespective...

What is more worrying is that I cant find any reference to the limits on the hemp bars in the 'theatre manual'.
Speaking as one of the (many) authors of that manual, that's because I got so fed up with no-one else helping update/extend it that I gave up before I got to that part. Not that that's much of an explanation ;)
The problem is that every recommendation for any upgrade seems to be met with 'well the union is moving in 7 years, so unless that can be moved to the new location then it is pointless getting.' - or something along those lines.  I must have heard that at least 10 times in two weeks...

They've been saying that for the better part of a decade...

Anyway, my unhelpful advice for the overall situation is that old standby, do a risk assessment, present the conclusions to all parties (for the love of god, not via email) and be prepared to escalate if need be. Or just run away and deny all knowledge.

Ben

1. searching the BSI site shows a BS7906:2 2000; is the new :1 version much different or aimed at a different 'target'?

BS7906:2 is the BS CoP for the use of trusses.

BS7906:1 is the BS CoP for the use of lifting equipment excl trusses.

2. do you know when :1 is going to be published?

Early 2005 I am advised

3. are there going to be any moves to incorporate it into a more 'user friendly' format (ABTT CoP)?

It is a CoP not a specification, and we tried to make it as user friendly as poss.

It doesn't address all the issues I would like, but it should answer virtually all of the rigging and flying questions posted in the BR, for example.

Dear Flymen/Technical Managers of venues with "hemp" flying.

Just doing a quick survey if you dont mind...

What do you consider to be the SWL of your hemp bars?

How may lines are there on your hemp bars?

What is material of the hemp bar?

How did you arrive at the SWL stated above?

Thanks in advance for any input

Kev

SWL 200Kg per bar

3 hemp lines per bar

Aluminium 48mm OD

Annual test done by outside LOLER testing organisation

The bars are 12m long (each is a single piece - no joiners) the hemps are 5m spacing.

In relation to some of the other points in this thread...

We no longer fly LX on the hemp bars (having installed 7 binch bars over last summer) but previously LX bars would be rigged on two sets.

A minimum of three flymen (or women) are used - generally four is better to achieve a smooth fly out in view. This is usually achieved with two standing on the flyrail (with appropriate harness and fall arrest) plus two on the fly floor.

----

Lee

Archived