Turning space required for 40ft truck on Trackway

platform

Please could anyone advise me on the required turning area required for a 40ft truck to turn 90 degrees on a trackway run without its wheels damaging the grass? My instinct tells me that 5m square should work but I would appreciate if someone could confirm or deny!

Thanks

You should also bear in mind that a 40' trailer will need to have a unit attached to it to pull it around the coner, so I reckon you would need at least a clear 25m square for it to turn 90 degrees. A lot would depend on sightlines, and whether the ground is level or not, and the ability/confidence of the driver. Is the trackway a single track road? or is there space for the driver to get a few shunts in?

Dazzler

Sorry I’m talking about Trackway as in ‘Eve Trackway’ type temporary event road. In a sense Paul is right of course it will not fit on a an area 5m by 5m but what I am talking about is the area bolted on to the corner of a right angle of 2.5m wide ‘Trackway’ turn to allow the driver to get his wheels round and straighten back up. Re-evaluating this calculation (i.e. doing it properly and not just an estimation in my head!), this space needs to be half the vehicle length so 6m by 6m should do the job, maybe 7 to be a little safe.

Also these are fixed vehicles i.e. not truck and trailor. The Ground is fantastically flat and open so sightlines ECT are not an issue.

I have 200m of Trackway to allocate for this job but slightly more would be ideal, however I have already pushed it up 50m from previous years and budget restrictions prevent me from getting any more. I must maximise my usage of this so do not wish to waste any on the corners without scrimping to the extent we end up damaging the grass.

Am I still missing something?

Here's a dry bit of reading for you:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/sr/sr1999/19990454.htm#16

The construction and use regulations specify that any truck (you're likely to have on site) has to be able to turn in the area defined by two concentric circles of 5.3m and 12.5m radius.

You could do a little scale drawing to play around with your trackway maybe. A standard single sheet of Eve Trakway is 2.5m x 3m. (That 3m being the width of the roadway as its normally laid).

Are you talking about your truck getting around a 90 degree corner and carrying on, or are you talking about it lining up to reverse onto a loading dock? If the latter, it'd be good to have a bit more wiggle room than the absolute minimum.

If the former, bear in mind that the trackway will be laid by a rigid truck (usually a 17ton flatbed with a Hiab), which itself has to get around the corner.

Really, Big Dave's post is the best advice - talk to the company supplying the trackway, this is really simple, bread & butter stuff to them.

hth

Sean

x

Why don't you contact the people supplying your trackway or one of the trucking companies, I'm pretty certain between them you will find the answer you are looking for.

Is a fare comment however after screwing him hard for his 'Best Price', I dont actually think I'm his best friend! He is still a last reasort but I thought I would ask here first on the of chance therir might be a Production/Site Manager that has first hand experiance. It is a pretty common scenario and I've experianced it on my sites before but never had to be the one recomending the layout. Also yes why dont I ask last years site manager I hear you ask, well this would be because he walked of site in a strop and is no longer on speaking terms with any of the team, (plus I now have his job, not a happy man!).

One last comment in responce to another reply, making a triangle out of rectangular steel pannels is not realy an option.

Many thanks for everyones thoughts though. :(

... however after screwing him hard for his 'Best Price', I dont actually think I'm his best friend!

You get what you pay for....

Most of the outdoor gigs I have done these been a big square of trackway the width of backstage area by about 20-25m deep, you can get more than one truck on the ramp and have others queued up...

regards

tim

[

One last comment in responce to another reply, making a triangle out of rectangular steel pannels is not realy an option.

No but making a diagonal as was actually suggested is perfectly reasonable.

Peter

P.S. I believe there is a spell checker available for posters. The words you are looking for are response, panels and really.

Is the truck company approachable? If space is tight at your end they MIGHT even help at their end and work it out for you in chalk on their yard. For every truck in there has to be a truck out at some time or parking away from the turning area.

Archived