Waterfall...

dave singleton

Hi all,

Im looking to see if its possible to achieve a low fog waterfall effect using a JEM Glaciator. Tried the search function and nothing. We have a truss archway, and the idea is to have a solid waterfall to throw light onto etc as people enter through he effect onto stage. Height wise we are looking at around 7m.

Basically what I want to no is do I do this via ducting up the inside of the trunking and have the machine on the floor? Would the machine be powerful enough for this? Or do I need to fly this bad boy?

The other very basic point I suppose I should find out is whether people think this is possible?

I've used the machine before but never had the time to experiment.

I've never had much luck with a Glaciator when it comes to producing low smoke. How long would the ducting need to be to get up the truss once you've included whatever you need at either end?

Basically what I want to no is do I do this via ducting up the inside of the trunking and have the machine on the floor? Would the machine be powerful enough for this? Or do I need to fly this bad boy?

Personally, my experience with CO2 and cooled fog would suggest that this is unlikely to work by ducting the fog up at all (let alone a height of 7 metres!!). You're not only going to loose a LOT of 'oomph' in the fog pressure, but also lose a lot of the chill. I'd suspect that the only way you'll achieve the effect effectively would be to have the machine at the height of the top of the waterfall - possibly higher - and having experimented with the beast that is a Glaciator, it's not really something I'd consider - those things are DARNED heavy!

Best bet, if you can manage to lift it that high, and have a safe method of supporting it (and assuming it won't move throughout whatever production you're running) is to sit it atop a high rostra.

Good luck with that, tho....! :)

TD

I too would fly the "bad boy".

I wouldn't!

Especially as I've just looked at the OP's profile.

no offence intended to him, bt the logistics of flying a machine as heavy as this (115kg!) properly and safely would be tricky for a pro, but a student in a secondary school setting....? Sorry, but I can't see that this is going to be practical.

So unless the OP has a LOT more experience on campus in the form of pro stage techs, I'd suggest a rethink about what the options are.

TD

Dave,

I don't think the Glaciator is the way to go, if I were you I would be looking at a Londoner which is the old fashioned style Low Fog machine, comprises of a heated water bath with a Dry Ice basket. The smoke produced will stay cool for a much longer period possibly allowing you to keep the machine on the floor and run ducting up to the top of the waterfall.

General safety applies don't try to lick Dry Ice!!!

It was also written 2 years ago! Just finished my b-tech!

** laughs out loud **!

OK - lesson here - keep your profile a little more up to date....!

:) ;) :D

I don't think the Glaciator is the way to go, if I were you I would be looking at a Londoner which is the old fashioned style Low Fog machine, comprises of a heated water bath with a Dry Ice basket. The smoke produced will stay cool for a much longer period possibly allowing you to keep the machine on the floor and run ducting up to the top of the waterfall.

I seriously doubt that anything will survive being pumped up 7 metres, whilst retaining enough chill to fall effectively.....

TD

You'd be surprised how much low fog you get out of those things, and how cold they really are!!

Did a job about 6 years ago which had to be pumped up about 3M which worked perfectly, this was also in a very well lit stage with Sky Pans all over the stage roof.

I think the biggest problem would be trying to find a Londoner these days as they all seem to have been superseeded

Not sure but an FX company at Pinewood might do them it's called Effects Associates speak to Camilla

Bit irrelevant really considering it was posted 2 years ago

:)

You'd be surprised how much low fog you get out of those things, and how cold they really are!!

Did a job about 6 years ago which had to be pumped up about 3M which worked perfectly, this was also in a very well lit stage with Sky Pans all over the stage roof.

Hmm... I wouldn't - we had one on trial a year or so back and whilst yes it was nice & cold on a darkened stage that had no lights warming it up and no bodies doing the same, BUT once we tried it after a simulated half hour of show conditions, the fog warmed up quite quickly.

I also suspect that the process of forcing it upstream by the 7 metres (more than twice your 3m...) will have an adverse effect on the temperature. I could be wrong of course, and the only way to prove it would be to experiment.

TD

Your not wrong Tony test, test, and test again thats the biggest problem with smoke effects everything can change so easily, climate changes, wind changes, atmosphere etc...

Could also look at setting up a smaller system if you had space above, I small water tank with an immersion heater in it keping it warm, then just add the Dry ice as and when you need it

:)

Excessive quote trimmed - READ & DIGEST!

Could also look at setting up a smaller system if you had space above, I small water tank with an immersion heater in it keping it warm, then just add the Dry ice as and when you need it

<winces>

Very hot water overhead, + CO2 + (potentially) flying scenery + actors/talent = recipe for disaster!!!

Reaches for H & S manual....

Archived