Flightcase

Rich newby

Hi,

I was just wondering how you guys cut out the foam from cases. Like the cases you use to hold things like XLR adaptors and the like this

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j80/RichNewby/th_p-casepres.jpg

I was thinking of bending a rod or thin sheet of metal to shape then heating it and use it as a stamper to cut out the required shape. would this work

Rich

Rich,

Your method is likely to a) char the edges of the foam b) leave a sticky mess on your "stamper" c) generate large quantities of noxious fumes that will eventually make those in the immediate vicinity rather ill....

I'd suggest making sure the cutout section is a separate piece of foam, (i.e. place a layer of foam in the case bottom first) then use an electric carving knife to cut out the shapes you require in the top foam layer.

HTH,

Simon

Folks like Five Star cases do the custom cuttings - but they are not cheap...

As an alternative why not look at the photographic cases (like PELI cases) etc - they generally have "pick n fit" foam which is perforated into little squares so you can pick bits out and fit the equipment you need. As well as the PELI cases its also possible to get them from the larger catalogue companies in budget aluminium versions.

Hope this helps.

Rich,

Big fan of Peli Cases!!!

All Peli cases come as standard with Pick 'n' Pluck foam, it is already diced so its easy to pull out the necessary areas that you don't need.

They are also fantastic cases with Lifetime guarantee etc....

I was thinking of bending a rod or thin sheet of metal to shape then heating it and use it as a stamper to cut out the required shape. would this work

As mentioned, definatly not advisable if you want to live a long and prosperous life without the aid of a resperator.

High Density foam does not need to be sealed by using heat. A good old band saw or jigsaw works well for a nice clean cut. Sharpie makes great outlines, do it on the underside and no one will ever know.

That said, I would not bother using a case for plugs. Get one of those trays devided into lots of little squares. Most adapters and things fit in small squares, and if you have XLR gender changers (which often are a bit bigger) grab your leatherman and cut out a divider.

Cases like that are great for handheld gadgets and tools, but for insignificant things - they are a why bother.

They are also fantastic cases with Lifetime guarantee etc....
...and a fantastic price tag. Not a problem if you are putting a couple of grands worth of high tech widget in it, but for a few XLRs!!??

Actually not as bad as you think, if you only want a small case have a look at this

http://www.onestopfilmshop.com/Shop/section.php?xSec=114

1120F Protector Case with FoamCode: PP-1120F

£26.65

(exc. VAT)

Size:Internal Dimensions: 187 x 124 x 77mm

More info...

Or there's always a carrier bag??

Archived