Float Mic Recommendations Please

alan v

Hi,

We are looking to buy some float mics for our main house, stage size is 9m wide by 10m deep. They will be mainly used for amdram musical work, and the odd panto. We have used 451s for the last few years, but are fed up with them being kicked.

Budget is around £900 ex vat.

Let the debate begin...

Alan.

Greetings,

Crown PCC160's are the best float mics to use. You need to put a piece of rubber underneath then to stop stage noise. Also they don't like being mopped by stage crew.

Fleeting....

and don't forget that if you make a little "box" for them to sit in, you can get more gain without touching the gain on the mixing desk - I think it's 3dB for each boundary you add.

PCC's are good . but can pick upa lot of "foot" noise also.......

Have a play with the AKG C836 ( too late to rememebr the exact number I think),. a medium shotgun, very reasonably priced and very nice pick up pattern!

I tend to gaffer PCCs to a large lump of metal (we have quite thin, flat counterweights) which stops its tendancy to bounce around, with some foam under this to try and decouple it from the stage noise.

My only gripe is that they seem to need EQing to hell to sound good.

Archived