Cocaine on stage

Suzette

After watching a run through yesterday it is now apparent that the actors need to snort cocaine on stage - twice in the show. The venue is a small pub venue - closest audience about 3' from the actor so not much chance of hiding anything.

Turning completely upstage is not a viable option due to the blocking and style of the piece, but they can turn slightly sideways on so some of the action can be masked from the audience - but we do have audience on 2 sides (L shaped) so that isn't that easy.

So any ideas of a substance that can be safely snorted by the actors that won't leave them coughing or spluttering or sneezing on stage?? I've heard that possibly something like glucose powder might work - does anyone have any experience of this and know where I can buy it?

Any other great ideas???

BTW - the show is on Monday so an answer ASAP would be appreciated!

Glucose powder, but taking it into their mouth rather than nose would probably work.

Most people have a gag/sneeze reflex when snorting anything, which probably isn't the effect you're after.

You can still legally buy snuff, which is sniffed (snorted) but being a nicotine product is addictive.

Discuss it with the actors. If they are smokers they may be willing to give it a try for their art.

(A word of warning. I couldn't do it. I sneezed, went dizzy, felt ill and then went to the loo and threw up. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/RumbleO/vomit-smiley-015.gif

And that was with just a pinch on the back of the hand, not a line.)

The talent was happy with real snuff, but I'd have mimed it.

I like Beware's suggestion.

Breathe gently down the straw / rolled note instead of sniffing and it will disappear realistically.

And if they are not ingesting it then any white powder (e.g. cornflour, icing sugar, whatever) may do.

I've heard that possibly something like glucose powder might work - does anyone have any experience of this and know where I can buy it?

Glucose powder you can get from your chemist. While there, the pharmacist may be able to advise on the wisdom of snorting glucose, or a safe alternative like medicated snuff.

Edit: Missed opportunity to use that smilie.

I would think, if you don't use too much, you could use icing sugar, cut it into lines, and then blow it instead of sucking. the icing sugar would disappear quickly. May be worth practising

as "beware" wrote using sugar works and tastes nice to, all you need to do is get some icing sugar and then grind it up into a fine powder :)

I seem to remember from reading my wifes gossip magazine about some minor celebs teeth falling out, that coke that be taken by rubbing into their gums, if the switched to that method using glucose powder problem would be solved (they have to clean their teeth afterwards)

That's a good idea about rubbing on teeth - thanks. I'll speak to the director, but he might say no cos there is a big thing made in the script about how useful the glass coffee table is and what it might be used for.

Icing sugar is being bought as I type and someone else is rolling and glueing a fake fiver..... I'll let you know on Monday how it goes.

Any other ideas - keep them coming!

Sherbert?

Also an idea for the snorting....

If the straws/notes are pre-rolled then drop a ciggy filter down the end. the 'suck' power will still work but all the sugar will get caught up inside the tube so no gagging, and the moisture should hold it there.

Sherbet contains sodium hydrogen carbonate (a weak but concentrated alkali) and tartaric acid (a wealk but concentrated acid). The two react to form carbon dioxide (the fizz). No wonder it hurt.

Thanks for all the suggestions - the actors worked with finely ground icing sugar and the blowing method .... worked quite well except the night the actor used rather too much icing sugar and blew very hard so had quite a cloud of dust around her!

Archived