Pat Testing Cable

Stig

I like the picture on Clive Mitchell's site

There is the transformer

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/patlabel.jpg

And here are the bare wires with 10,000 V accross them when the transformer is powered.

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/vee.jpg

As he says

Just one of the many PAT test labels stuck on the transformer from hires to film and TV companies. I think it makes them feel better if they stick a safety label onto something that has two bare wires with ten thousand volts zapping up them. Quite frankly I'm a bit sceptical as to whether this does actually make the unit safer. :D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It may be easier/safer to use a separate tester for the earth bond as the 3ph - 13A jumper wouldn't be one that I'd like to see in the wrong hands! :o

You mean shorting together all 3 phases? Been there, done that on a 250A/phase feed. Interesting to say the least :D :unsure: :unsure:

For three-phase equipment, all the phases and neutral (if applicable) must be linked together while making this test. This may lead towards a sensible working practice for Soca testing, but needs some more thought.

You could make a jumper from 13A to 3ph and link the phases together in the socket. Neutral will be linked to live by the tester.

Yes indeed no reason this principle cannot be applied to Socapex or Bulgin, as per my earlier posting. Essentially the phase multicores are being treated as a single core.

Bulgin

Those low amperage multicore mains connectors typically found on "disco" lighting, most of them fail visual coz they are "plug to plug" however Bulgin Ltd did introduce a male panel inlet and trailing socket to their range a few years back, in fact their rep came and proudly issued us samples of the "prototypes" a few years ago. The problem is none of the lighting manufacturers are receptive to change and continue to fit female sockets as inlets, thus promoting bad practice. Full marks to Bulgin Ltd for trying, BUT these things are still a nightmare as far as PAT goes!

When testing an aplience with a removable IEC lead, does the appliance and lead need testing seperately?

yes, it certainly does.

we always test leads as separate entities.

I've been told that around here it was worked out that in terms of time it was costing about £2 to properly PAT test each IEC lead, and new IECs can be bought for £1.50 (if you get them in bulk.) :D

£1.50 for the lead, plus £2.00 to test it prior to taking it into service.... Which you all do don't you?

OK most of us can probably buy moulded IEC cordsets at low trade prices, but I guess we don't SELL them at cost.

However, I didn't think a brand new moulded lead needed a PAT test before being brought into service, surely the test frequency clock starts ticking from when it is brought into service.

Most of our customers have annual PAT tests where we test everything, however if they buy a brand new appliance or lead during the year, this would not be PAT tested until the next annual test, i.e. they wouln't book a PAT test specifically to bring something new into service.

As far as "proof of age" is concerned, a retailer's dated receipt for the new appliance or lead suffices in my book. A bit like an MOT, i.e. you don't book a test on a new car prior to driving it from the forecourt.

No doubt there will be various view on this.

Tony

However, I didn't think a brand new moulded lead needed a PAT test before being brought into service, surely the test frequency clock starts ticking from when it is brought into service.

The wording is 'Equipment should be tested - when first purchased or delivered to site (unless provided with a suitable test certificate)'

I will leave it as an execise for the reader to decide what a suitable test certificate is. ;)

Archived