Patching on a Pearl 2004...

dave singleton

Hi,

To start with, I've been through and used the search function but had no luck so:

I want to no the best way of patching Thomas Pixelline on a Pearl 2000? Sounds like a dumb question but I believe there are different methods in order to achieve different things.

I have the show in just under a month time and never before used LED fixtures so this one could be interesting. Im only using 4 mainly to introduce my self into the world of LED.

I no on one of the forums on the net there is the exact post im looking for as I read it before and right when you want it, you cant find it.

Hi Dave, depending on which pixel line battens you are using. For the 1044 set the batten to MAX2 mode and patch using personality JTPL1044M2, if using the 110 set it to MAX2 and patch using personality JTPL1104E.

Hope this helps

I tend to patch them as Dimmers. I only use them for Corporate stuff so no fancy effects are generally required.

They use 10 Dimmer channels

1.Red

2.Green

3.Blue

4.Chase 1

5.Chase 1 Speed

7.Chase 2

8. Chase 2 Speed

10. Dimmer

Can't remember what 6 and 9 do I'm afraid

Try the Pixel line web sit they have a brief guide to programming as well as a very useful chart giving C Y M equivalent values for many Lee colours.

Max two is a great way of accessing a wide variety of effects quickly but allow a bit of time for head scratching. I found that some times effects would change seamlessly from one to another and other times there was a short period of confusion between effects. Some of this I admit may be down to my sloppy programming.

Leave yourself some time to play and get your head round how the units perform as they are not as intuitive to programme as many moving lights.

have fun.

hehe!

Rather than patch as separate RGB's, I would recommend a personality with them set to 'CMY' attributes, either in HTP or LTP depending on whether you want to be able to 'mix' chases etc.

Not only will this allow the use of shapes for colour but, if the dimmer gives overall control, then proper busking ability.

Store some HTP/LTP palettes of the most common colours - ie. combinations of 100% components or some LEE filter matches and then store memories/chases of the dimmer only. Then you can recall the colours as required, just as with movers.

If I am wrong about the operation of the dimmer channel then you can still use palettes to build chases etc - this is how I work. In this case you must use HTP but I found it much more viable than loads of separate dimmers.

Note that the Pearl currently has a maximum of 240 HTP channels. Handles containing multiple dimmers count as one HTP channel.

A virtual dimmer option on the Pearl would solve all LED control issues, just as it has with the 'Hog and other more recent consoles. I urge people to start a poll if they think this would be valuable to them. It would be best if I do not start the thread since I have already discussed.

Well, the Hog3 can control colour-mixing fixtures in HSI mode, which automatically gives you a dimmer (the 'Intensity' value) as well as colour (Hue) and whiteness (1/Saturation).

If this is an option on your fixture/console, I'd recommend you use it as it makes life so much easier!

Archived