Allen & Heath 42 Series 16:4:2 Sound Desk

James

I have an old (1981/2) Mark 1 Allen & Heath 42 Series Sound desk.

I obtained it in 1998 as my first sound desk.

I used it for a number of small gigs, productions and recordings before outgrowing it and purchasing my next desk, a new Soundcraft LX7/24 in about 2001

Since then I haven't used it but I haven't wanted to get rid of it in case it came in useful.

Now Its come to a point where with a selection of desks in the cave I can't imagine needing the old 42 series any more.

I don't want to chuck it away so I've pulled it out of storage and fired it up.

As you can imagine after 5 years of not being used its showing its age a little.

After running through its paces,

4 of the 6 vu meters don't have backlights.

The Headphone output doesn't output anything

1 group is dead

1 channel is dead

many of the faders and knobs are scratchy

and a couple of missing knobs

So - I have to think about throwing it away, I can't think anyone, even on ebay would be interested in it in its current condition.

So, before I get he scope out and try rectifying the problems is it realy worth it?

It looks remarkably simple inside, and a&h have all the schematics on their website which is a good point.

But is it worth it?

Oh and can anyone recomend anything for cleaning scratchy faders and pots with?

James

I've been trying to clean some Pots on a Carlsbro mixer, and one of their Tech guys told me on their forums that they use Electrolube 2GAX. I can't find this on the Electrolube website, so I'm trying to get further detalis from Carlsbro at the moment. One thing NOT TO USE is WD40; apparently it will just kill Pots/Faders and make them much worse.

If you want to repair it as a winter's night project, go ahead. However, if your thinking is commercial and you want to make money, forget it. The parts you may require and , more importantly, your time, will never be recouped when you sell it. An early 80s vintage mixer, even lovingly restored, is still an early 80s mixer.

Bob

If you do find that this is a project that is not feasable for yourself, I know a group of students who would definately get some value from working on bringing it back from the edge.

Paul

If you do find that this is a project that is not feasable for yourself, I know a group of students who would definately get some value from working on bringing it back from the edge.

Paul

And if you or anyone wants information, parts or advice on this or any early A&H model please remember to call A&H tech support (details on www.allen-heath.com). Our 'Old Products' page has info on vintage mixers as well as some advice on how to maintain them. Some of the parts may still be available, and most faults are probably easily fixed after some basic diagnosis.

Regards,

Carey (A&H design)

Archived