Active and Passive Speakers

frost

An Active speaker has amplifier/s built in. Both types are used for all types of events.

I would differentiate further and say:

A powered loudspeaker has a built in amplifier and a passive crossover (if one is needed).

An active loudspeaker has a built in active crossover and the requisite number of amplifiers to drive each passband.

Of course, one could have a a three way biamped system with two amplifiers and a passively crossed over HF section, but I'd still call that active ;-)

Simon

Thanks for the replys.

I am now confused about how you can swap some speakers from active to passive and vice versa?

Do they have a built in amp but it is optional if you use it or not?

Thanks again

Toby

Nope, only some speakers have amplifiers built in, the active or powered speakers. A passive speaker may only have a crossover in, at the most! With a powered/active speaker you just take the output from the desk and put them strait into the back of the speaker(maby with and eq between). With passive you need to take the outputs of your mixer and put them into an amplifier, then you take the powered signal from the amplifier and put it into the speaker. There are a few post on here for beginners to sound, which you might benefit from having a read.

Rich

I am now confused about how you can swap some speakers from active to passive and vice versa?
Some models of speaker are available in a powered and a passive version - when you buy one, you can either get the active (with amp built in) or the passive (no amp) version.

Does that help?

This is a case of crossed terminology.

Many manufacturers refer to powered speakers as active. Most industry types refer to a system as active, which means that there is an active crossover and several amplifiers (as Simon says, these can be built into the speaker). A speaker that has an active/passive switch has a crossover inside, enabling you to power it using just one amplifier. The switch bypasses the crossover, allowing you to use an external active crossover, and usually 2 amplifiers.

Hope that clears it up.

Paul has it right.

I'm pretty sure this is what you mean.

To add a little. with a 2 way cabinet When in passive mode you would simply use a normal 2 core speaker cable and the internal crossover will do its work. When in active mode you would need 4 core cable to the fitted connection on the cabinet (or 2 cables each with 2 core) these come from your crossover and seperate power amps. one for low and one for high (or whatever the split is).

Some systems are bi/tri amped. 2 way passive or 3 way active. My Martin Wavefront W8's are an example. In passive mode you require 2 amps to power this cab (this is additional to the necessary subs... which in my case are also biamped but thats by the by) one amp powers the low mid (twin horn loaded 12) and the other amp powers the top section. This is a 6.5mid driver and a 1 inch driver. A passive crossover inside the cab splits these up in this case.

In 3 way active mode you need 3 amplifiers. One for the low mid, one for the 6.5inch high mid driver and one for the 1 inch driver. In this mode the internal crossover is bypassed!

This particular cabinet uses Neutrik NL8 speakons (8 pole) as in active mode you need 6 wires for the 3 channels.

A tip, if ever you have a cabinet such as this and you dont seem to be getting anything from the HF driver, check this switch first, both its position and operation.

I dont know of a cabinet that can either be fully passive, bi amped OR tri amped via switches.

To add a little more. Most cabinets are bi-ampable (if thats a word) you would need to do a little wiring inside if there is no switch. You need to be aware of cabinets that are wired differently as things can go horribly wrong if you start putting 130Hz at 600watts through a 1inch compression driver.

Rob

All the Behringer cabs are switchable full range or biamped . So it is possible to Bi/tri amp just by throwing switches . The cabling can get a bit messy though .

Full range / biamp swicthes are quite common, and (by using an NL4 connector) quite easy and foolproof to use. However, with triamp systems a 6 pole connector is needed, meaning that full range operation would require a non standard connector. As Rob states, I'm not aware of a switchable fullrange / triamp system in one enclosure, using the same connector system.

It is generally a 'good thing' to have all connections on one connector. When I used separate 4560 bins, 2x12 mids and 2" horn boxes in my sound system*, there were many "accidents" when some hapless helper plugged the bass feed into the horn box.

Simon

* the term 'Sound System' is used somewhat loosely here. It was flipping loud, quite efficient, but lacked the lowest octave and was huge!

We've all owned an use MANY systems like that. Infact we've all owned systems that lacked half the next octave, aren't very efficient at all, are even bigger and aren't particularly loud!

I currently run 8 core from my amp rack and run the W8's 2 way. This saves on a 5th amp and another set of cables. I run into the W8S, pins 1+/- and 2+/- power the 18 and 15, 3+/- and 4+/- come out the parallel out carrying the low mid and high signals. which are linked via a SPECIALLY WIRED lead to the W8. pins 1+/- and 2+/- on the W8 are for the low mid/ high.

Plug the link lead in the wrong way round (its labeles sub and top) and you have no sound from your top cab. Do this with the switch in 3 way mode and you have a Digam 7000 from 30Hz to 80Hz through your 1 inch driver!.

Plug the main lead into the top cab and link to the sub and the 12's and 6.5 get the digam 7000's up them.

Both have been done. Nothing was damamged thankfully.

Rob

Bob .

I'm thinking of using 8 core speaker cable and connecters in place of my NL4's . What 8 pole connecters do you use ?

I know I'm a little off topic but it seemeda natural progression .

thanks

Mal

Archived