firework displays

Ricky

Hi I am starting up doing fireworks displays. so if anyone could offer advise or any were to get cheap supplies I would be very greatful.

By 'supplies', what do you mean, exactly? Fireworks themselves? Bits and bobs for the display (tape, pegs, stakes, wire, etc.)? Or something completely different?

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, and you may well have this sorted already, but if you're considering going into business doing fireworks displays you need to have two things sorted out before you even think about going any further - storage and insurance.

To buy Cat 4 (professional) you will need to prove to the seller you have an annual insurance policy - Torribles or The Insurance Experts - budget £6000 for your first year, and you need a suitable storage facility - probably a steel shipping container modified and somewhere remote. There are a few people who get round these requirements, sometimes you read about them in the paper whe the law catches up with them. We have 1 in Central Scotland who has no insuance, and keeps cancelling shows when the venue asks for a copy of it.

Your best bet is find a local company to work with.

Colin

"Cheap" fireworks are cheap for a reason! I saw some cat 3 cakes fired that had been damp and they went everywhere and sent some blind stars up that had to be cleared later. -The tubes had become unstuck from the bases and some tubes lifted letting the stars out the side.

Get some storage to MSER and some insurance then promote for business Buy a show's worth at a time. You have to have storage in case a show is cancelled after you have bought the fireworks.

Find an insurer, there are few, two mentioned above -could be others. Get their codes of practise guidelines etc. Go on the Lancaster/Kimbolton cat 3 course, Do Lincoln's course - even stage pyro provides some wisdom. Have you any experience of firing shows, Many show providers will offer free experience so that they have plenty of help available for peak (Nov 5) times

Once you have some training -do you already?- and some experience the insurers will talk to you and the suppliers will. Suppliers will offer pre selected boxes and advice on what you could use.

The fusing parafinalia is cheap and small but mostly needs MSER storage and insurance.

Kimbolton Fireworks ( Lancaster's company) did last year offer courses on choosing and using from their cat 3 range, They may be planning to do similar this year. It is aimed principally at small groups schools, clubs, scouts etc who want to buy the fireworks and fire themselves. This course skirts round the insurance issue as the associations have appropriate insurance from their headquarters. It also skirts round storage as it was assumed that the fireworks would be delivered/collected immediately before the show. As a self employed proprietor /firer you MUST sort out insurance and storage. Also you must sort out your business style if you are a sole trader you are fully liable for any costs, if you are a Limited Company the company is responsible, though suppliers will likely require a personal guarantee. There are courses that lead to BPA accreditation as a graded firer -gosh the BPA offices are in Kimbolton town too.

Archived