Multipars

beware

So, in my Fringe venue I would normally use about 8 fresnels and 8 profiles. The profiles hardly ever get used as spots, usually just washes, although the shutters are often useful.

This year I'm on a tight budget to buy lanterns for 2 venues. I've been seriously considering the multipars - as I understand, these could be used 'as' a fresnel, or as a spot, although less flexible than profiles or fresnels.

Could I use 16 multipars per venue to do what I want?

I've searched, but can only really find arguments over cheap/ETC. Has anyone actually got any experience of using many of these for different uses, and if not, is there a good reason?

I reckon I'll end up buying a few profiles as well, for shutters and gobos.

Any comments useful

Cheers

Ben

Could I use 16 multipars per venue to do what I want?
I have 16 multi-pars in our venue - two Source 4's and 14 clones. Haven't actually put the real ones up against the copies as a comparison as yet, but will do soon.

Will they do what you want? I doubt we can tell you that without seeing exactly what you want to achieve.

I like them as they're relatively versatile, with the 4 lenses, BUT when all's said and done, they're only a par-type lantern.

There is no focus option, and you can't shutter or gobo, as you've said. They've also got the par oval-shaped beam, and that's adjustable easily via the plastic ring around the lens housing.

Bang for buck, buying the cheap clones (between £50 & £80 plus bubble) is more expensive than a normal par can, but running costs are lower.

TD

On a budget, multipars are great. You choose a size, and basically point and shoot. As long as you dont plan on doing anything more advanced than areas of light, they will be fine. That said, I would recommend you get two zoom profiles for each venue if you can squeeze them in.

Echo the others.

We have 8 EuroLite multipars and they're great for what we need. Like Par64s they're not a replacement for fresnels, but do their job well - and efficiently.

Did have the sadness of swapping a lens carelessly and watching it tumble and shatter moments later, before I'd got the filter frame back in again. Brought home just how important it is to use frames! Shame that I don't think the cheapo suppliers supply replacement lenses, but among 8 fittings we can afford to lose a few (though I hope I'm wiser the next time!) before we start to become unstuck.

Do buy the lens removal tool as it makes this job a ton easier! I speak from experience. Terralec (amongst others) sell them.

Archived