Who Knows About Radio Mics

andy_s

Andy, There is a lot to be said for looking at what your local hire company has in stock - that way you get to go for something that has already been proven in the field (hopefully) and best of all - for those shows where you need just a few more packs you know where to go to get some that match - meaning fewer problems for those who have to use them...

Just a thought,

As for Capsules MKE2 are very popular - partiularly with the NB2 adapter or alternatively look at the countryman E6 or ISOMAX mics.

I like the Trantec S4000s a lot, but recently was pretty impressed by the Sony Freedoms; the Trantec S6000s look very nice, but probably a bit pricey. I'd agree also with going for MKE2s (not sure if they still come in different flavours these days though).

greetings,

The place I work at has 16 channels of trantec s4000 series. I find that that the aeriels are a little fragile ( especially channel 69) and the displays are very prone to condesation ( putting them next to sweaty actors doesn't help) other wise they work well with sennheiser MKE2's although sennheiser won't supply them with the Lemo fitted ( and it's a little fiddly to solder).

Hope this helps

Fleeting

We have thirty or so channles of sony freedom in stock and they have proved themselfs all over europe on our shows. They are quite resistant to interferance have a great range pick up from 200m or more and through stud walls ect. also the come in racks of six and with a key combination all the recievers will tune themselfs to free chanels and at the right intervals to keep full diversity. Interchangable capsules Ecm 77(omni),88(cardoid)88pt cardoid (water proof). My only critisism are that the airels are vunrable but they are easy to change. Oh and expensive compared to the competion. But well worth the money for the reliability. I have never had one fail on me in the two years that I have been using them.

• 2 weeks later...

make sure you go for 4000's and not 4.5s The early 4.5's were programmable the same as the 4000's using the trantec programmer, but the current 4.5s can only use the dereg frequencies. I thought I was alone in the condensation problem - digits on the displays vanish making channel setting interesting. I concur with the uhf aerials - very fragile and bendable.

Useful info

The senheisser evolution transmitters work extremely well on trantec receivers. I did a side by side test and can't detect any audible difference. I commonly use a 16 ch trantec receiver rack with evo 145 handhelds and performance is great. I don't like the plastic body on the trantec handhelds, so use the evos - leaving body packs only as trantecs.

mke-2's are still (in my opinion) the best allround mic - however, if you need something cheaper (or disposable) Canford audio do one (in beige and black) that costs around £50 and sound quite good. not the same clarity as an mke2, but not bad. I use them for the bugsy malone type of thing and the panto slapstick scenes where decent mics get a little soggy!

paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the advice everyone, I'm going to pick up my new s4000's on monday. I did like the look of the s5000 and the Sony freedom, but a bit outside my budget at the moment. Luckily I already have a pile of MKE2s with the right connectors on, so that saved me a bit of dosh. I got them for £135.00 ea, terminated, does anyone know of a better price?

Thanks again....

Greetings,

One little trick I've just started doing with the aeriels is heatshrinking the whole length. This makes them rigid and less likley to break from the screw attachment. £135.oo for a MKE2 is a very good price, the lemo is about £10.00 to buy on it's own. Sennheiser have just had a price rise so you may find that they have gone up.

Fleeting

Archived