Pyros Setting Off Adjacent Ones

Brian

just wondered if anyone had any thoughts as to how much of a problem this is? I've never had it happen to me but I've noticed that after some cartridges fire they sometimes leave little bits of burning paper around. Using a twin pod I've always been a bit worried about the one in the next chamber going off.

I have known of flashover on professional firework displays when using mortars, but never heard of it on small pod-based stage pyrotechnics.

I don't think that the small amount of burning paper would be an issue as it is nearly impossible to set a pyro charge alight using a single lit match. (don't ask how many people I have witnessed attempting this tho!!!) :( :blink: ;)

Correct me anyone if I am too far off the mark.

Just my two pence worth, hope it might be worth something

Owen

This is a constant issue with EVERY show and event that we (Just FX) get involved with.

The solution is to use a piece of silver foil (single ply or two or three ply dependant on device being protected) "placed" note: "placed" over the secondary devices to be fired.

never NEVER use silver foil tape as this will change the characteristics of the device being fired (i.e. greater compression etc) and it could be construed as a "modification" to the device by those that know about this things, which would be the "illegal" bit.

If you are in a situation where the foil flying off the device would be a further hazard or issue... a tiny piece of silver foil tape to secure "one-side" of the foil covering will help, thus producing a hinge and not interfering with the device firing as it was intended when it was authorized for use by the health and Safety Executive.

I hope that all helps.

(Come on a course! ABTT or ASP... details elsewhere on this site)

Lincoln

I once had an occasion when using two LeMaitre twin pods sited right next to each other, all 4 pods loaded with Theatrical Flash Loud report cartridges.

On detonation of the first pod it sometimes (not every time) took the one next to it with it aswell. This, as you can imagine produced a really loud bang instead of a bang and also it meant that there was a need to hastily re-load in the next convenient blackout!

I got round this by sweet talking the resident LX bod into letting me borrow 2 x Asize gobo holders for their Strand T-84 lights. I slid the two holders in between the two pods and hey presto, it never happened again.

Just as a bear in mind.

Craig C

Not sure how Andrews "alternative No 3" would reduce the risk of flash-overs... I would guess that it would more likely "increase" the chance of an adjacent device being ignited as the contents of the device are un-suprisingly! more likely to take ignition from a stray hot particle than that of a device with an intact paper top!

... there is also the important matter of "tampering" with the authorized and classified device and changing its tested characteristics.

... something that the insurance companies and other enforcement agencies may take issue with you about!

Lincoln

The lid was still intact, I didn't spit THAT hard. Dampening the lid stopped the hot particles burning through to ignite the powder within the pod. No alterations = no problems with "tampering".

Or did Mr Parkhouse read split for spit? :)

Archived