Fashion Show

thelxbloke

Hi all,

I'm lighting a local fashion show in a venue with unknown power (will be researching this shortly).

The catwalk is "T" shaped and approximately 15-20m long in total butting up against a wall on one side.

The budget is £150, in stock I have 4x PAR 56 shorts and 2x64 Longs, a verity of DJ scanners, not cheapie naff ones though.

Does the "mighty blue room" have any advice - I know we need to light the area as evenly as possible and as cleanly as is possible also.

Pre assistance thanks,

Steve

As pars are not too wide, you need lots or something more wide - fresnels? Worst bit is they need to be high - else they shine straight into the eyes of the punters. With a normal rostra type height - 600mm or so, you really need 3m or so at the very least. T bar stands are pretty useless, unless they go really high - and then they fall over!

general rule for fashion shows is that whatever you do - it must stay well lit and show the proper fabric colours. You can flash and gobo over the top, but the designers will kill you if you mess with the colour of their clothes.

Elaborating on what paulears has said, use your movers only for intros or as presets, possibly rigged at the horizontal part of the T catwalk and point them upwards or across when models are 'struting their stuff'. Lots of white light so your parcans might not do alot for even cover. If you did have some sort of a budget you'd like to have say between 5 and 10 1K fresnel on each side of your catwalk - open white at around 70-80% intensity. And yeah good high positioning points. The last catwalk I did I was lucky because we had done it in a church so poles could be rigged between the large arches that ran the run of the main hall.

If you did have some sort of a budget you'd like to have say between 5 and 10 1K fresnel on each side of your catwalk - open white at around 70-80% intensity.

Fresnels certainly, but open white no. You'll need 203 in at least, and if you're running them at 70 - 80% (don't know why you would, though) make that 202. These will correct the tungsten colour temperature nearer to true white.

Howies will work very well too, as Pete says, and remember to light from every angle at which you have audience. If they're at 2 sides then light from 2 sides, but if they're on 3 sides (standard catwalk stylee) then you'll need 3 angles of light.

If you did have some sort of a budget you'd like to have say between 5 and 10 1K fresnel on each side of your catwalk - open white at around 70-80% intensity.

You'll need 203 in at least, and if you're running them at 70 - 80% (don't know why you would, though) make that 202.

Ah see we initially did have 202 in them! But some of the fashion designers thought the light looked 'mucky' - then there was the big debate afterwards but we just went for bright open white to cease the LX spiel.

Agree with the above. The aim is for the rags to be seen as designed, so light naturally (blue tint) from all viewpoints.

I also used a L147 apricot wash on the cyc for the models to be silhouetted against on their entrances.

The show I did recently had a hair and makeup section, for which I planned tight spots at head height shining down the long length of the catwalk to illuminate faces.

(With a light pink gel, I can't remember which one, I tried a variety at rehearsal until the stylist was happy. It might have been L152. I still think OW at 70% looked better.)

The fashion folk then asked for the pinspots to stay on for them too. It might be worth trying if there's room FOH at the end of the 'walk to rig a stand.

When I was doing fashion shows I would always start of with strong colours as a preset and then hit them with open white and a couple of Pani followspots when they hit the cat walk. If you look at most fashion shows on TV etc (think the big fashion houses) its always white.

Chears guys,

I'll have a chat with the organiser and see how many models will be on the catwalk at any one time and see if some kind of followspot would be appropriate with some kind of wash to take the harshness off. Thoughts and feelings about this approach are all welcome.

Chears again.

Steve

Archived