Comm. System Advice

cmar

I'm looking to purchase a communications system for my school. In talks with different sound companies, for the most part Clearcom is suggested as the best. Also, mentioned by a couple companies was Production Intercom, whom I'd heard of as well.

Then, one company suggested the company ASL Intercom. I've never heard anything about ASL so I'm wondering what people think of it and if it really is comparable to Clearcom.

Clearcomm is certainly a standard - as is Techpro - most cans systems will either be Cleacomm and/or Techpro compatable, meaning you buy a powersupply/base station/whatever and you can plug in any other beltpack which is compatable with it.

Whilst I cannot name a brand I would recommend over another at this time, I will mention a few things I have noticed:

Go for a brand that uses metal cases instead of plastic.

A school typically only needs a powersupply and a few stations - so chances are you dont need a 'base' or 'master' station.

There are some systems arround that are proprietary and will not talk techpro or clearcomm, using their own standards - avoid if possible, even if they are cheaper.

:) gave me these from the Blue Room.

Here, here and here

I have ASL headsets in a school. If you take care they seem fine although they do seem to pick up a little more ambient noise than the Tecpro variety we hire in to extend our network. We got ours from AC lighting thought there are other suppliers. A BS181 power supply, BS15 beltpacks and HS1/D headsets. Plastic beltpacks have been ok with careful use. Even the lightweight headphones have done better than expected. I've had them 3 years with no problems and would buy more to extend the system if needed. Good value in my opinion.

ojc123 - do you realise two of your links go to the same place? One lofi, one full version - and those two are MAINLY about the HEADSET not the actual cans system. That said, I can remember that there are some quite old (and comprehensive) topics with recomendations.

ojc123 - do you realise two of your links go to the same place? One lofi, one full version - and those two are MAINLY about the HEADSET not the actual cans system.

Oops. Reminder to self. Do not attempt to be a smart alec too early in the morning. (Or at any other time!) Thanks.

Rest of post stands though.

What I've seen of ASL kit has been good. I have one of their lightweight headsets (bought to replace a TecPro one which got trashed) - nice bit of kit, and a fraction of the price of the TecPro equivalent. I've had a look at their other pieces of comms equipment, and they seem very sturdy and durable. Oh, and they're TecPro-compatible, too, which is a consideration for many people who are buying comms systems with a view to integrating the new kit with existing kit or compatibility with hired equipment.

It's worth pointing out that Tecpros appear the most common system in the UK - clearcom, while leader in the US and other places doesn't feature heavily here. Canfords Tecpro isn't cheap, but apart from the lamps, which die regularly - usually when the pack is dropped - they are pretty bomb proof.

I have the same experience as Paulears...I see a lot more Techpro kit here in the UK.

This gives one other advantage: if you buy a basic Techpro system for standard use, you can easily and cheaply rent extra beltpacks and headsets when you need to do something more elaborate.

Bob

We've just installed clearcom throughout our new building, and I must say it's easily the best (clearest sound, most comfortable headsets, least "cans fatigue") system I've used. I should think there's two factors at work here - the quality of the kit, and the quality of the infrastructure installation. I would imagine that to get the most benefit, you need to make sure the comms tie lines are all installed to a high standard as well.

I have one criticism of the belt packs - the volume control pots are a bit too " free - running" - it's possible to turn yourself down accidently by brushing against the beltpack with your arm or sleeve if wearing the beltpack on your belt.

I have used the techpro and asl stuff a lot.

The techpro stuff is better quality but higher price.

My local hire company just bought asl stuff to replace their ageing techpro units.

I prefer the asl packs to the older techpro stuff. The buttons are easier to find without looking and the lights are bigger and somehow softer.

However I detest the asl headsets, give me a proper beyerdynamic headset and I'll be happy.

The main thing I don't like is being stuck with the choice of ear on the headset, I often switch depending on which ear can hear the stage best.

I detest the asl headsets, give me a proper beyerdynamic headset and I'll be happy.

Personally, I don't like Beyer headsets - I find them bulky, uncomfortable, and don't like the sound they produce. So I guess that just goes to show that it's a very personal thing - what you like, someone else probably doesn't, and vice versa.

The main thing I don't like is being stuck with the choice of ear on the headset

The newer TecPro models have a swinging mic boom that allows you to swap ears. I can use my ASL lightweight on either side, but I can't remember whether the 'big' ASL cans have a left/right option.

However I detest the asl headsets, give me a proper beyerdynamic headset and I'll be happy.

The main thing I don't like is being stuck with the choice of ear on the headset, I often switch depending on which ear can hear the stage best.

My experience with Beyer headsets is that unless you modify them they limit you in ear choice. If you open up the boom hinge you can break off the stopper that limits the boom, but out of the box it is only 1 ear. Are they different in the UK?

Mac

I'd say yes if you have the budget for the kit and the proper installation - our system as I said earlier is head, shoulders and both ears above any other system I've used in the 20 odd years I've been wearing the blooming things. I'd second the less favourable comments about beyer headsets, blooming uncomfortable, very heavy and a major cause of sweaty cansear if you ask me. But, horses for courses, it is such a personal thing.

Archived