Kit Bag

Pete

I've read the thread on tool kits,so I'm not just starting a new thread for the sake of it!

Ive recently started to do some of venue based work,on call teching,where there's no need for me to take my whole tool box,however I do like to take my PPE (Harness,Lanyard,Lid) with me just in case I need it and also a Podger! The work some time's involves long hours of sitting on my ass thou so it'd be good to get my laptop in the same bag.

So in short I'm looking for one rucksack type bag to hold my PPE, a podger and my 15" non wide-screen laptop (laptop section needs to be suitably padded).

Any suggestions?

I've currently got a Targus bag (this one) which I use at University, it normally just has lecture notes etc in, and there is a padded bit at the back which Velcros in which a laptop goes in. My laptop is only a 14" screen but I it says they fit up to a 15.4" screen. Also some more pockets at the front and sides.

It's served me well for the last half a year or so, and seems fairly durable. It's quite big, but I don't know if you would get a full hard hat in there, or is a lid more compact? Although they do seem to have a huge range, so you can probably find one to suit.

HTH

PN

Just a thought - most "laptop bags" or rucksacks have a removable padded sleeve for holding the laptop. Often suppplied as freebies to delegates at conferences as part of the "conference pack". See if you can acquire one if you're doing any conference work...

Also, you can get rucksacks, intended for cyclists, which have an (external) bit with straps for carrying a cycle helmet.

So combining the two might be a possibility...

I would want my laptop to be in a hard case, not a bag.

I've seen too many people set unstable piles of kit down beside other kit only to have it fall over a few seconds after they walk off.

Laptops are expensive, look after them.

Also most hard case toolbox type things can be padlocked to keep people from 'borrowing' your stuff.

I work in an institution which currently has several thousand students on campus, studying courses where bringing a laptop into class daily is mandatory.

Most use rucksack-style bags, with protective sleeves, as I described above. I'm not aware of any laptop which have been damaged while in the bag over the last few years. And students aren't the most careful people...

Going a little off-topic, the most common damage we see is a cracked screen, caused by shutting the laptop with a pen sitting on the keyboard. Or something being spilled into the unit - usually alcohol. We also came across one that had been melted by an anglepoise lamp that was too close to it, and one where a goldfish bowl had been overturned over it. Neither the laptop nor fish survived.

But I'm not aware of any real problems of laptops getting damaged while inside rucksacks.

Your mileage, of course, may vary...

Bruce.

Hi,

As others have said I would keep the podger/PPE and laptop in seperate bags.

For the PPE I'd recommend the Petzl range of bags, I've got the classic (or classique if your on the french part of the site!) and it regurlarly gets chucked in the back of trucks, driven miles and comes out with all my PPE/rigging kit in perfect condition! Really thick PVC material and sturdy bags, and also acts as a good haul bag (depending on where your working, not always ideal to carry a bag of rigging gear up to the grid, hauling is sometimes the better option!). Also handy to have when using MEWP machines, keeps all your gear in one place and without the risk of stuff falling out (with bag secured to machine).

http://en.petzl.com/images/Produits/Produit_Image_542.jpg

Cheers

Dan

And waterproof because there caving bags! Its amazing how useful a waterproof bag is, but only once you've got one. I do also have the classic, but I put my climbing softgear in(harness, slings, spare fleece. I also put ropes in the same bag as the sofgear if I'm limited to 2 bags). I use a small day sac for my metal climbing protection. Anyway, I would also recommend your laptop in a separate bag. Oh and a last thought, harness and sharpish podger in same bag?

I use 2 bags, a rucksack for my Powerbook, plans and small tools (a pencilcase full), and a holdall for PPE, rope, chalk and tools of a persuasive nature (hammer and driftpin).

I used to use the Petzl bag pictured above, and hated it. Sods law says that whatever you need is at the bottom, and because it's so narrow you have no option but to empty it in a big pile on the floor. My money goes on a decent quality holdall with a few pockets and a couple of wheels.

B.

PS. The Petzl bags aren't entirely waterproof:- they have a couple of half-inch "ventilation" holes in the base.

Archived