Computer based music

Matt

I need a program that can do eq'ing and compressing without any sort of noticeable delay

anyone got any idea's, please help, its getting urgent now... needed for tommorow evening 5:30pm gmt

One programme

Pro Tools - There is a free version - (and it works on a mac) - you will probably have problems with it on a PC - I have jet to hear of anyone getting it to work reliably so either get a mac, buy a copy or get lucky...

Sorry Matt.

Sorry Matt -

just re-reading your post to work out what in the world you are doing.

I know its not the most professional sound deck but hey... wey all have budgets, I just dont have one...

you are using winamp as a sound desk? but you are using the mic input attenuated (this amplifying your noise floor to ridiculous levels) What's the rest of your gain structure like?

I was thinking of making an adapter box type thing, coz the feed has got to go through my laptop, in the mic>processed>out the headphones

so I sugest an alice pack - you say no as you have no budget and make up a lead shorting out cold to ground thus loosing the balanced signal. (who knows what's coming into this laptop and where it's going - but if it's any distance you are running the risk of picking up all kinds of noise and interference.

you say

I am using winamp and some compressor/eq plugins

to do what? - if you have no budget then why do you desperately need comps and eq's? I can hardly list them as the most essential piece of kit for many things? particularly one that has been bodged as much as this will be.

the only thing there is a delay on the processing using winamp, noooo!

I need a program that can do eq'ing and compressing without any sort of noticeable delay

WHY?

what kit are you using - what do you desperately need to compress and eq?

I am sorry Matt but I'm trying to help and without this information it's very hard. :blink:

If you want to do this on a laptop then Pro-Tools with an audio interface, if not then there are cheep eq's and comps for sale - if there is no money at all then do without, Why is it that essential?

James

no, I think you have got completely the wron gidea here...

its too late now to do anything seeing as the show is in 4 hours, and I am just about to go get everything setup without my stuff...

anyway...

what I need to do is put the main signal out feed from the desk through an eq and compressor because the system that is being used is old, and wont deal with a great volume/bass that they require, we can't hire anything in, because they are very stingy people.

so I was thinking to use the input on my laptop (using the mic in at a low volume controlled by windows) running a few plugins with a dsp stacker to compress and eq the signal, then pump it out through my line out, into the amps.

all the cable's I needed was either 2 XLR to 3.5mm stereo jack, or XLR to single phono. I have made these cables now at a price of £15 which is not bad seeing as they are not only gonne be used for what I intended them to be used, but another production I am working on atm.

thanks for your super huge post

Matt.

what I need to do is put the main signal out feed from the desk through an eq and compressor because the system that is being used is old, and wont deal with a great volume/bass that they require, we can't hire anything in, because they are very stingy people.

Matt,

Probably a good thing that this won't work - If your system can't cope with a "great volume/bass" then what are you going to gain by piling on compression and eq? - distorted compressed volume with no bass? If the speakers aren't physicaly capably of reproducing the low frequencies you think you require then no amount of DSP is going to magicaly create them

Good luck in the future.

James

heh heh, I see what your getting at here, this is kinda getting into a game of tennis dont you think, anyway more to the point...

... I am only being told what to do here you know, plus it is an extremely weird venue, with a lot of acoustic problems (ahem) and a shed load of unwanted feedback spots, horridness... (thats what you get for working in a church, crudness to the extreme)

anyway cheers

Matt.

Archived