Computer based music

Matt

need help with winamp. I know its not the most professional sound deck but hey... wey all have budgets, I just dont have one...

anyway, I have a line in plug-in, but on my laptop, it doesn't have line in socket, only mic in, so can I change the linein://44100/32 part to micin://44100/32??

can anyone help me here, or does anyone know of a plug-in that allows me to use the mic as an input device?

done it now, it also uses the mic in as a line I, you just have to drop the volume to half on windows recording volume control, heh heh stupid me :D

again, does anyone know of any places where they do XLR to 3.5mm/6mm jacks (stereo)

You might have to go 2 x XLR>Stereo 6.3mm Jack, Stereo 6.3mm Jack > Stereo 3.5mm Jack - try Sound Control or Canford for adaptors...or make one up yourself (got an old pair of headphones? Chop the headphones off, and attach XLR's to the cable instead...job's a good'un, for the price of two XLR's)

I was thinking of making an adapter box type thing, coz the feed has got to go through my laptop, in the mic>processed>out the headphones.

what I was thinking of is having a box with female XLR sockets on one side going to 2 rca/phono's, which I then attach a 2rca-3.5mm jack and connect to the mic in, and the oppostie for they way out, but I am thinking this could be too much work, just getting the leads and attaching XLR's could be better.

cheers for the info though.

Matt.

what I was thinking of is having a box with female XLR sockets on one side going to 2 rca/phono's, which I then attach a 2rca-3.5mm jack and connect to the mic in, and the oppostie for they way out, but I am thinking this could be too much work, just getting the leads and attaching XLR's could be better.

It depends on you budget.

If all you are doing is balancing line level audio out and unbalancing line level in then try an alice matchpack

http://www.alice.co.uk/images/Matchpaks.jpg

no, coz I DONT HAVE A BUDGET, this is why I am using winamp and some compressor/eq plugins

all I want is some cables to connect the XLR's to the 3.5mm stereo jacks on my laptop

can anyone recommend a better program for live sound editing than winamp and plugins?

Matt.

Matt,

The cheapest way is bound to be wiring this yourself. It is not difficult - a couple of XLR connectors will cost you £4ish, or you might even be able to nick them off some other redundant cable. Open them up, solder the pins as required (I'll leave the pinout to someone who knows...) and thats it. I'm pretty sure you'll have an old set of headphones from which you can borrow the cabling and 3.5mm jack - if not, places like Poundstretcher will sell a headphone set for about 99p.

Compare this to the cost of buying the component cables, and I think you'll decide that half an hour with a soldering iron and a multimeter will save you a fair few £'s.

Can anyone provide the pinout for a 2XLR to stereo 3.5mm jack? Best to leave this to those in the know.

Matt

where is this going to & where is this coming from

What are you trying to do with winamp - would Goldwave help?

You can buy most chepo domestic funny leads from maplin or cpc - just a couple of pounds if that - and saves having to solder tiny bits of cable if you are not used to it.

(personaly I hate 3.5mm jack - and never try to solder it myself )

Good Luck

Oh and Peter - is this another thread yet?...

cheers for that peter...

anyway...yes... I have found a way to use my existing 3.5mm jack to 2 phono's.

all I need now is a pin-out diagram that tells me how to wire them up... I am ok with the phono end, not too sure about the XLR end though. I have some very decent cable, cost me about £200 for 50m, and I would like to use that, because I have made my own interconnects for my hifi from it, and it sound lush...so I am hoping to use that, plus the aesthetic option also comes into it.

cheers for all of your help, your considered as my "colleagues" practically

Matt.

Pin 1 Ground

Pin 2 Hot

Pin 3 also ground (would be cold in a balanced cable)

Edit

Just read the rest of Matt's post

You mug! Read some REAL science on the subject of cables! Not the tosh spouted in the HiFi press or certain High St retailers.

"emperors New Clothes" springs urgently to mind....

right, I have succesfully made my own cables now, tried it and they work ;)

the only thing there is a delay on the processing using winamp, noooo!

I need a program that can do eq'ing and compressing without any sort of noticeable delay

anyone got any idea's, please help, its getting urgent now... needed for tommorow evening 5:30pm gmt

Matt.

I have some very decent cable, cost me about £200 for 50m

WTF?!

:blink:

I should hope it rigs itself at that price...

Anyway isn't the quality of a cable limited by the connectors used on it, and the quality of the product it's plugging into?

S

Archived