Vented cabinet subs:

Bad_Rock

True in a way, you will be running your cabs down at 4ohms doing it that way. Oh wait a Minuit, are you talking about having 2 cabs, so 4x15" woofers in total, or just one as a centre sub? And if you are only having one cab, do you mean running your amp in bridged(one cable powering both woofers) or having 2 leads going into the same cab, to run each woofer individually and your amp on Stereo?

Bad Rock,

A vented (bass reflex) cabinet will not load (i.e. provide a compressible "spring" of air to support the driver cone), when driven below the driver's resonant frequency. If your music contains such low frequencies and you drive the speaker hard enough, the cone will bottom out - usually with a hard cracking sound - and eventually damage the driver.

The way round this is to employ a high pass filter in your crossover (typically 30-35Hz) to provide some protection for this.

You mention a horn-loaded vented cabinet. You have two basic types of box rolled into one there. Whilst these cabinets are available ("scoop" bins etc.), either a front-loaded reflex cabinet OR a sealed horn-loaded cabinet are more common. I'm sure others will comment here.

Plans for dance subs are available at www.proaudioparts.com

Pete.

Plans for dance subs are available at www.proaudioparts.com

Just looked at that site, and got confused :nerd:

I'm sure you mean http://www.proaudioparts.co.uk/ - click on the "links" button, then the link to http://www.speakerplans.com

Bruce.

Edit: It's been ages since I've looked at speakerplans.com, and I'd forgotten just how good/bad/impressive/bizarre (delete as appropriate!) it is.... especially the forums :D

I can turn my hand to most DIY things, and I've refurbed 2 houses and built an extension to one.... but "finishing joinery" is not really my strong point, so I don't think I'd be able to make a decent job of building these things! The only router that I feel confident with is the networking variety :P

I was told that for a dance music system it's better to have a double 15" horn loaded vented cabinet to get more punchy bass but at the same time I was told that they are easier to blow. Real world or urban legend?

I post up on speakerplans a lot and yes it can go from the trivial to the very technical ! The plans on there for the HD15 ( a simple band pass horn) are very simple and the boxes are easy to make . They don`t really go low enough tho` unless you use 4 or more with the mouths stacked right but are maybe what you`re looking for if you want "punchy" bass.

Something to look at on there at the mo` is the Punisher horn , it`s a 12" horn loaded cab and after having heard a stack of four I was VERY impressed , for a small box it kicks out a very nice sub!

As for porting a hornloading box , some manufacturers do it to ...have a read of this thread.speakerplans discussion

.p.

The way round this is to employ a high pass filter in your crossover (typically 30-35Hz) to provide some protection for this.

Whenever I program a digital sound controller for a venue this is what I always do, in fact badrock if you don't have a sound controller already I suggest you make the investment , you can get the altodrive 3.4 for example for not much money, it's a two in six out with high and low pass filter on each outputs, a limiters on each output, a five band parametic on each output, four band parametric on both inputs, delays on both inputs and four outputs and you can control the whole lot from your PC and if it saves you a few blown componants it's paid for itself!

Archived