Stage management interviews

Hi guys

I have RADA and Bristol old vic interviews comming up very soon and I know there are other posts about this but they didnt help me

I was wondering what should I wear like a smart suit or casual/smart. also what should I put in my portfolio as I wasnt (as everyone does) to make the best impression

any advice would be great.

nicky x :(

Guest lightnix

There's already a lot of advice in here regarding interviews in general and college interviews in particular.

Have a little rummage through the T&Q forum with the Search function for "interview" and "technique" - that should reveal all of them. If you have any remaining questions, then add them to the most appropriate thread, or ask again in here if there isn't one that suits.

Happy reading :(

Personally, I would not recommend you to wear a suit. Smart casual is good in my book. I find it deeply disturbing when people (especially young people) turn up for interviews for theatre jobs in suits.

My rule of thumb is never to wear anything to an interview that you could not envisage yourself wearing to work.

Hi,

When I went for my Guildhall interview I went smart casual. My thought on the matter was that I didn't know what I could get asked to do and I didn't want to be in a awkward position getting my best suit dirty! I must have done something right - I got in! :(

HTH

Nick

Any interview involves some suitage.

Seriously do not wear a suit to a theatre job or uni interview if applying for stagemanagement. In fact don't wear blacks!! Just wear, like Nick Woolley says, smart casual.

This next piece of advice is for all the other post readers applying for jobs or uni places, make sure that if ur a girl then not something that is going to show half of ur cleavage to the inteviewer, or if a bloke, wear something that doesn't have anything offensive writtern across it, or something that may correctly or incorrectly sum you up, i.e. Crackhead!

Most importantly of all, keep calm and don't panic!

:)

HTH

Alex

(Sorry to off on one, I got a bit excited!)

Seriously do not wear a suit...

Without trying to sound patronising Al, you are a student yourself and therefore not best placed to make some of the above statements. If you are comfortable in a suit, wear a suit! If not wear what you are comfortable in, and if it's black then what the hey, essentially don't let your clothing distract from you. When interviewing for a deputy a couple of years ago, we had two excellent candidates who made it hard to make a decision. One thing that swung me was that one of them when crossing his legs revealed that he had his name on his socks. not a crime I admit, but it influenced my attitude.

Mods : quotes fixed

Without trying to sound patronising Al, you are a student yourself and therefore not best placed to make some of the above statements.

However, I have had a couple of Uni interviews in the recently and I got a place, so I must be doing something right!!! :D :P :)

Mods : quotes fixed

It was a long time ago but when I interviewed (and got in) for BOVTS I wore clean jeans, boots and a polo shirt. More or less what I've been wearing for job interviews ever since.

Now I've been on the other side of the table, showing people round the theatre before their interview etc, I tend to think better of those who wear clothes they CAN climb a ladder in, surprising how many theatres have areas only accessed by ladder or very steep stairs.

unis

Seriously do not wear a suit to a theatre job or uni interview if applying for stagemanagement. In fact don't wear blacks!! Just wear, like Nick Woolley says, smart casual.

This next piece of advice is for all the other post readers applying for jobs or uni places, make sure that if ur a girl then not something that is going to show half of ur cleavage to the inteviewer, or if a bloke, wear something that doesn't have anything offensive writtern across it, or something that may correctly or incorrectly sum you up, i.e. Crackhead!

Most importantly of all, keep calm and don't panic!

I was going to reply saying exactly this until I noticed Al had said it all, but since there appears to be some disagreement I'll add my vote to what he said. One other thing don't wear anything with the name of a show/theatre/supplier/backstage chat room on it.

I would say that all of this applies to either educational or professional interviews both of which I have conducted. This may mean that you then turn up to be interviewed in things that you will wear to work or not depending on your usual smartness day to day.

For the interview for my current job I dressed in 'smart casual' even though I had freelanced for the company for 5 years and they had all seen me in jeans and hoodies (winter) and shorts and T-shirts (summer).

Having said all this do you want to work/study where they would be put off by green hair and facial piercings any good interview panel will look beyond all that so long as you look clean and that you have made some sort of effort so that it looks like you want to be there.

Best of luck with the interviews.

For the interview for my current job I dressed in 'smart casual' even though I had freelanced for the company for 5 years and they had all seen me in jeans and hoodies (winter) and shorts and T-shirts (summer).

Best of luck with the interviews.

Not to mention the lycra cycling gear.

(Signed) His Boss......

I trained at RADA. Some time ago I admit, but I think at least one of the staff stage managers are still there.

Here are my tips:

1. Don't wear a suit.

2. Don't wear anything that marks you out as a west end wendy; "I just have a passion for musical

theatre".

3. Be prepared to show you have a sense of humour, but don't come across as wacky or a bit of a

clown. For example when I was asked who I thought were the most important people in the theatre

were, I said " It depends who you ask" and then went on to give a more considered answer. Now

this was by no means going to have them in stitches, but it did show a useful air if cynicism.

4. Don't think you have to know everything. We had a written test and I got Stage Left and Right mixed up!

5. The most important thing I think though, was to show that I was enthusiastic and had sought out plenty of opportunities to become involved in backstage or technical theatre.

6. Finally don't give up. I had a few attempts over a couple of years before I got in, but I spent that time keeping involved in theater; T.i.e. amdram, school shows, work experience at the local rep etc.

Good luck

let us know how you got on

The thing to remember is whatever you wear, look comfortable in it. I always smile when I see younger people forced to wear a shirt and tie - it's so obvious they aren't used to it and they look so stiff. Others, often those people who have had a job where they had to wear a tie, look so much more relaxed.

Interviewers always have prejudices. Green hair and piercings shouldn't colour their judgement - but what happens if one one the panel hates these things? Let's say you are neck and neck with someone without these features - guess who gets the place?

I once provided a group of 14 people for a well known comedian to pick people to work for him in a venue. A few were waiting for him and were having a fag, leaving the lorry waiting to be unloaded untouched. He said "what are you doing?" they said "nothing", he said "then f### off, I don't pay people to do nothing", On a roll, he then got rid of the spiky hair, the one with facial piercings and one other for being ugly.

This, of course is extreme - but the point is whatever you wear or look like - it does have an impact. Luckily, as has been said, most people on the panel can look past these things, but not all.

How you will fit in with everybody else is pretty vital too - if you are a bit of an oddball, maybe a bit scary, who will want to work with you? Rather tricky.

I've been interviewing people for years, and am pretty pleased that my first impression was very often spot on! Individual is good, eccentric good - attitude (as in bad) is not.

Archived