Painting Decking

e-an

Very straightforward this one....

Has anyone any suggestions for a durable paint with which to repaint the wood top on lite-deck. Its got to withstand all the usual stuff from crazed musicians :blink: to full on rain storms :D

Someone had suggested a vinyl matt mixed with PV(?) glue - any comments.

Many thanks,

Iain

Vinyl matt already has pva in it! My experience is that adding pva does make the surface harder, but chips tend to rip off larger chunks than a basic paint job. If you want a black finish, then dye - as in the colron type stuff - is good on the bare timber as it soaks in. Then emulsion on top reveals black when it scratches off rather tha wood.

I've also used floor paint - designed for concrete - this works pretty well and is tougher than emulsion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We use a number of different treatments. If you have relatively bare wood (or new plywood) the absolute best long term treatment is Ebony woodstain from Sadolin. It stains very deeply (so it scratches to black), is totally waterproof and prevents fungal growths if the decks are stored damp. Beware, it is smelly, messy and takes AGES to dry - a couple of weeks in cold weather in spite of what it says on the tin. Don't use it the day before a show!

Once fully dry it can be overpainted with all emulsions, but still looks better when the emusion scratches.

RogerB

.... the absolute best long term treatment is Ebony woodstain from Sadolin. It stains very deeply (so it scratches to black), is totally waterproof and prevents fungal growths if the decks are stored damp. Beware, it is smelly, messy and takes AGES to dry - a couple of weeks in cold weather in spite of what it says on the tin. Don't use it the day before a show!

I'd back that up - it takes a loooong time to dry. I know, from experience. I used the mahogany version to stain my front door one morning. "Touch dry in 4 hours", it said.

14 hours later. Midnight. I want to go to bed. And I still can't close the front door....

But it's top quality stuff. Gives a much better finish, and lasts longer than any of the more common brands. A friend, who is a painter & decorator, swears by the stuff. But only in hot weather....

Archived