Mobile Grid

dominicgross

As you may recall, some time last month (ish) I brought up a topic of a new theatre fitting, since then we have agreed on a strand 500 desk :blink: and some other very nice little gizmos,

Anyway - now the topic goes to rigging: ideally the space wants to be completely flexible, so it can be set up as prosenium, round or thrust. From a rigging point of view how is this best done?

I had the idea of having a flown grid which can be 'moved' abound the space, is this possible? Does anyone have any ideas?

cheers guys....

Big question.

We have something kind of similar. Basically, a bunch of truss, some motors, a number of approved arrangements of said pieces for various types of performance.

So, in theory, it's possible. But it was expensive (for us), and the feasability depends on so many things, that you really need to get some much more detailed advice than you'll ever get on here. I'd suggest calling up some of the companies who deal in such things to get involved. Tell them what you want to achieve, and see what they can offer you (and a rough guess at cost, too.)

You could try:

Unusual

Vertigo

Outback

Who are all pretty big. I'm sure smaller companies would be willing to help too. Anyone got any recommendations?

cheers guys... just trying to get ideas of if it would be possible or not.

Multi use space is a bit incorrect, more like a multi format space??

So I guess you're looking at a space which can be used end-stage, thrust, in-the-round, traverse, etc? Your best bet would be just to make sure that your lighting grid covers the whole room, and that you have plenty of circuits evenly distributed throughout. Then run everything back to a hard patch so that you can use the circuits in places which are most useful for a particular room layout and ignore the others.

From a lighting point of view - Gareth's spot on. But also bear in mind that in order to make a procenium etc etc, you'll need somewhere to hang the appropiate drapes/tracks/scenic elements as well.

And my comments on multi-use/multi-format/whatever stand. Not recommended.

just to fortify what both Gareth and Bryson have said I work in a "multi format space" and the grid covers the whole room and works fine, easy to add bits to if needed and can be used any way you want it.

also do as bryson said make sure you have a place to add drapes to make the pros and make sure the re is some way to get back stage without being seen, (the one thing my venue is missing)

Edited to correct the spelling mistake Sorry Gareth

garath

GarEth. GarEth. There's only one A in it, and it's NOT in between the R and the T. You would NOT BELIEVE how many people have trouble spelling my name - even when they're copying it directly from a computer screen or piece of paper that's right there in front of their faces. It might be Welsh, but it's hardly difficult, is it? A certain SW England hire company recently managed to spell it wrongly in three different ways, on the same hire!! (Once on the quotation, and in two different ways on the flightcases.)

Garth Hughs, Garath Huges, Garet Hues .. whatever variation you can think of, someone's addressed me by it at some point. And I'm getting fed up of it! (Can you tell? :angry: )

Grrr. Rant over. Thanks for listening. We now return you to your regular programme. ;)

hey garth... how you doing... only kidding, o/t I now but hey thats what I am here for :angry:

as I quote ben ...

"also do as bryson said make sure you have a place to add drapes to make the pros and make sure the re is some way to get back stage without being seen, (the one thing my venue is missing)"

the bit in bold, didnt make sense... is it meant to be "keep the pro's happy" ?

maybe...

Andrews dead right. Sorry if it was a bit vague. Basically, if we have Proscenium arch-type shows here, we construct one out of black drapes and flats.

Must be clearer...

edit: ignore me...it was Bens post you meant. That's how I read it. I'm apologising for nothing now. Signing out..

Archived