Royal variety show

the kid

I thought some of the followspotting was a bit shabby too, I know its a long throw and an under rehearsed show; but if I did some of the stuff they did I'd have a talking to at the end of the show.

Sort of inclined to agree with you - it could've been a bit better. I mean, by and large it wasn't too bad, but there was the odd cringey moment! Particularly when the two acrobat chappies were on, with one back truss spot on each of them, and they both moved across to one of the SL portals - one of them moved back to centre to do a bit of a routine and the other guy stayed at the portal doing nothing, and both truss spots stayed with the 'doing nothing' guy!

Talking of the portals, did anyone else think that they were too brightly lit at the expense of some face light onto the turns? Not the 'money' turns, obvisously - they were covered by followspots - but dancers, etc.? Charlotte Church's number was a case in point - she was in her spot, the portals were really bright and zingy, and the dancers were just shadowy faceless figures mooching about in the gloom upstage of her.

Technical whinging aside, though (!) - I have two major problems with this year's show. It's called the VARIETY show - so where's the variety in having singer after singer after singer doing their thing? Bryn Terfel, Andrea Boccelli, Charlotte Church, Katherine Jenkins, Cliff, Il Divo (all four of 'em!), Ozzy, Shirley Bassey, Will Young, the cast of Guys & Dolls, and a whole male voice choir (note that I've deliberately not mentioned McFly! ;)) - bit of a "singer-heavy" bill, if you ask me. Personally, I reckon they'd have done better by knocking some of the vocal acts off the bill (Ozzy, McFly and Will Young!) and giving everyone else a bit more time to do their thing.

Secondly, they made such a big thing about how it was in the wonderful new Wales Millenium Centre, and the first RVP to happen in Wales, etc. - so where was "Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" alongside the English anthem? ;)

Didn't see it but did they use the english anthem (Land of Hope and Glory) or the British one (since appropriated by the English FA) which must be played in the presence of the monarch or senior member of the Royle Family - God Save the Queen.

I hope all those who chose to criticise the "sloppy lighting" have worked on large scale events, with multiple artists and quick changeovers.

I don't know what people's experience is on here but it's kinda shameful to sit behind a computer screen and criticise others in your profession if you've not worked on that kind of event yourself.

FWIW LD was AL Gurdon, world renowned TV LD, also LD for MTV EMA's, Robbie in Berlin, The Brit Awards etc.

I really hate to ask but whats the differance ?

Strictly speaking, Land of Hope and Glory, is not an official anthem at all - just something that always stirs up patriotic fever. The National Anthem, as in God save our.... is required by protocol to be played at a function like this. Oddly, the Queen gets the whole thing, as we go down the Royals list they all get a little bit less of it, down to just the first 6 bars for minor Royals.

Talking of the portals, did anyone else think that they were too brightly lit at the expense of some face light onto the turns?

Yes, but can't tell from the telly: it maybe looked better live.

(I was recently told by the company videoing a show, "Don't use any red light. the camera goes funny." I couldn't get the video man to say what reds his camera didn't like, or allow me to swap gels while their cameras were running to find out. ;) )

I hope all those who chose to criticise the "sloppy lighting" have worked on large scale events

I didn't realise that it was necessary to have any sort of 'qualification' in order to be able to have, and express, an opinion. ;) (FWIW, I've worked on my fair share of large scale events (televised and otherwise) and multi-artiste shows over the years ... do I have your permission to carry on posting? ;) )

FWIW LD was AL Gurdon, world renowned TV LD, also LD for MTV EMA's, Robbie in Berlin, The Brit Awards etc.

I know who the LD was - that's why I was more than a little surprised that it didn't look better than it did. I've seen a lot of Al's work on TV over the years, and this is the first thing of his that I've seen with which I've been anything other than impressed.

I always used to criticise TV lighting but having spent a couple of days of our show being filmed for TV back in october (in the WMC as it happens) I realise how much of a pain it is to film something and get it to look anything like similar to real life (which is why we get broadcast fees ;) )!! And also Followspotting in the WMC can't be that hard I managed it!!

I didn't realise that it was necessary to have any sort of 'qualification' in order to be able to have, and express, an opinion. ;) (FWIW, I've worked on my fair share of large scale events (televised and otherwise) and multi-artiste shows over the years ... do I have your permission to carry on posting? :** laughs out loud **: )I know who the LD was - that's why I was more than a little surprised that it didn't look better than it did. I've seen a lot of Al's work on TV over the years, and this is the first thing of his that I've seen with which I've been anything other than impressed.

my post was not intended to suggest you needed qualifications to post here.

in reality I prefer to lurk than post. I just get frustrated by the image that a lot of people seem to criticise from behind their computer screen.

it's really up to everyone what their opinion is, I was just trying to profer the alternative side,

do I have your permission to carry on posting? ;)

Archived