Techie Panto

Jram

Just wondered how widespread the tradition of "technician Panto" is. I was in one two years ago with an amdram group. Last year my course filmed one that was shown at panto party, this year I'm trying to write one.

Are there any set rules? Obviously I'm trying to send up bits and pieces - set pieces and certain characters - as well as rewriting dialogue for certain key scenes. As I worked on the show as a chippy, I'm not really as familiar and fed up with the show as the crew are, and so my take on it isn't as sarcastic or satirical as it could be. It is, however, full of extrememly rude and ill-disguised innuendo.

So, is a technician panto something you have or do take part in? And along what lines does it run?

The usual mistake of cods is that they last too long! Keep it short but sweet. Take the p*ss out of the actors in a friendly way and remind them of any stupid mistakes they may have made. Remember it's not just to give the crew a laugh but must entertain its audience (cast, production team etc.) too. "In jokes" are good, as long as those watching understand them.

Jokes we've had in previous years have included someone coming on as the person who was originally billed to be in the show but got replaced long before even rehearsals started, the old bloke who had trouble remembering his lines getting all the charaters' names wrong in increasingly "double entendre" ways, and the ballet routine for the transformation being performed by the most macho "ballet dancers" you've ever seen in tutus and steelies.

Finally remember that although it's traditional to calm those nerves with a medicinal snifter before the show, save the bulk of your drinking till afterwards or you may end up being too embarrased to come in the next day!

Enjoy!

We did it yesterday. Quite funny.

In it, the DSM is seen to take a shot of vodka with every Go, and eventually adds shot-pouring into her standbies. She then runs onstage, gets into the dames car (based round a motorised wheelchair mechanism) and drives the car into the castle pillar. The pillar is 15feet tall and collapses on cue during the show.

The pillar is pushed over by a crew member with a stick. The Beast (as we're doing Beauty and the Beast) is played by the Props person who has been rebuilding the pillar every night at the interval. She grabs the end of the stick, pulls the crew member on and prods HIM with the stick, demanding to know how he likes it.

In the show, a chandelier falls (Phantom it ain't) and crushes the Beast. In our version, the Beast and the Chorus look expectantly at it, wating for it to fall, which it eventually does. The Beast falls down. Had I filmed it from DSL, it would have looked very convincing. Instead, I filmed it from CSR and it misses her by a clear mile (three feet) when she falls down :biggrin:

If anyone knows a site where I can upload it, let me know.

Archived