Pa Power Amps

jony*5

I want to build my own PA .... and need to get hold of some budget power amps.

I'm thinking of about 8 Peavey CS1200x/1000x. They Bridge 1800/1500wRMS into 4ohms and are about £250-300 S/H. Damping is greater than 300 and they have built in protection.

Would anyone suggest something better??? (but not at twice the price)

Is it worth paying £999.99 for a new EV P3000? 2*1500/2ohm ???

Like all things, you get what you pay for. The more they cost, the better the electronics you get (well 99% of the time any way). It also depends very much what you are going to do with them and what speakers you are going to use.

QSC PLX amps are a good mid price effort and you can probably pick them up for around the same price second hand - oh and they also don't weigh much which is also a complete bonus.

The EV amps are good work horses and have reliable electronics - you just need a fork lift truck to move them anywhere

we have 2 crown CE-2000's. they both put 1k into each channel, although they can be bridged to something like 2-2.5k. they are nice amps to look at, in my opinion, but they cost £800 each, which might be a little otu of your range, judging by the price you quoted, a long way out. I mean it sonly a recommendation, so no harm done.

You can pick up second hand crown macrotech amps from around £500 I've seen them I would look at going second hand theres lots of great condition gear out there second hand. Good places to try are companys like lmc audio, sse sell off hire gear also sound on sound magazine have a readers ad section on there site. I quite often see carver and crest amps cheap second hand they may be a good buy as they are decent amps but imho anythings better than peavey. Hope thats some help!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just purchased three s/h power amps.......

they're made by crown - :D . they're rated at 5000W into 1ohm from DC to 100Khz. Damping factor over 1000!!! They are almost identical to MA10000's

they cost £500 total...... but

they are 6U tall, weigh a tonne and need 3phase supply as they pull 30A at full power.

Anyone got some speakers (subs) they can lend me to test as I don't have 5K+ of cabs!!!

I've just purchased three s/h power amps

{snip}

they need 3phase supply as they pull 30A at full power.

In the words of John Otto Cleese, "Explain, prey, the logic underlying that conclusion" ...

1. What the hell do you need 5k power amps for?

2. Why does something need 3-phase just because it pulls 30A?

I'm pretty sure I know what the real answers are (you don't, and it doesn't, in that order!), but I'm just curious to hear your reasoning.

well I use 32A single phase plugs and have less trouble getting them than three phase 32A???

Oh well.

So you're the person to speak to next time someone needs some stageweights.. :D

• 1 month later...

I think Jony*5 may be right about the power, the Crown MA10,000 does require 3 phase and has a NEMA twistlock 3 phase connector on the back panel.

Notwithstanding, peculiar choice of amp for general PA/sound reinforcement, i.e. a mono amp designed to run 1ohm loads (or less) to get the full 10k from it (good for stadiums, auditoriums installation kit)

I would have thought 3 MA5000/MA3600s would be far more useful for general purpose large PA as were talking 4ohm/2ohm loads, single phase.

Still for £500 can't knock it albeit there are clear impracticalities!

Archived