Flashing Lights

Fiona

HELP!! My lighitng desk (serius 24) is turned off....dimmers (LD 90'S) are turned on.....random flashing lights in the rig of their own accord......does anyone know why this is happening....and what I should do about it....very unnerving......presume it must be something to do with the dimmers sending some signal to individual channels...other than that I've no idea!!!

Any guidance gratefully received!!

I don't know if the dimmers you talk about are DMX in or analogue, but for what it is worth there seems a problem with the demux box. I would suggest repowering that, then make sure all faders are off and turn on the desk. I have had this sort of problem with an installation and it seems the digits get all mixed up! Hope this is of some use and good luck!!

I don't know if the dimmers you talk about are DMX in or analogue, but for what it is worth there seems a problem with the demux box. I would suggest repowering that, then make sure all faders are off and turn on the desk. I have had this sort of problem with an installation and it seems the digits get all mixed up! Hope this is of some use and good luck!!

Nah, LD90's are DMX in.

Fiona, does the random flickering stop when you turn the desk on? If you unplug the DMX feed from the desk does it still happen? Are there any other elements to the system (scrollers, etc.) or is it just a straight link from the desk to the dimmers?

Straight link from dimmers to the desk, no other bits (scrollers etc) the flashing lights did stop when the desk was turned on....but didn't have it turned on for long, so could have started again if I had left it a while...the flashing lights when the desk is off are very sporadic....could be a few minutes before we get another chase (so to speak)...haven't tried unplugging the DMX feed...will go to the theatre in a minute to try it....any ideas....??

On a further note....this forum seems to working really well....well done Peter / Richard....anyone else involed......very impressed!!!!

Guest lightnix

I saw your thread in "the other place" and wondered...

I would check the DMX cable to start with. If the screen has become damaged it may be picking up mains / other RF interference, which is being misinterpreted as data by the decoders at the racks (after all, DMX is only a fancy type of low voltage AC at the end of the day). I would suspect this especially if all dimmers are affected, rather than just one rack and are not running via a general decoder box. You could also check to see if the DMX line is running alongside any large mains cables, which could be the source of the interference, although it shouldn't make any difference if the control line is undamaged.

Otherwise it's possibly a decoder problem, although I have zero knowledge of LD90s myself (theatre stuff, you see).

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem once when programming a show, I was using a strand GSX console and LD90 dimmers, and in the middle of very serious scenes lights started flashing all over the place. It turned out that I had a dodgy DMX cable, is is possible that that is your problem?

Archived