Selecon Followspots

erroneousblack

I have used the Pacific Followspot and found it very good I used it with the 600W tungsten halogen lamp and the light output was excellent I couldn't fault it. However there is a 800W version but haven't yet used it. It is excellent for schools, amateur Dramatic Groups & Entertainment clubs.

There are 2 other in the range called the Performer. I haven't used these but have heard they are of a high quality.

The chorus s we have have at work are pretty good. I like their design - only trouble is that the iriss keep screwing up - getting jammed etc etc.

Used lighting .co.uk have some ETC source 4 followspot conversions - I dont know what they are like to use but might be worth considering (has anyone tried these yet?)

HTH, James

• 2 weeks later...

I've played with the Selecon Pacific followspots, and as with most Selecon products, their light output was excellent. Although I didn't have long with them, I'd expect excellent optics too. I seem to remember that they're slightly on the large side, so you might want to check their dimensions vs. the dimensions of your opping position.

They also look funny, Selecon are good at that ;-)

Had them two days, iris snapped in one already!

That's a bit shoddy!

Do yerself a favour, get some Robert Juliats. My local venue has just got a couple of RJ Topaze units to replace a pair of elderly Sil15 CSIs - and they rock! (cue Bill & Ted-type ;) moment!)

Its a bit late for you now, But im at a venue this week who also has problems with the iris on the Preformer Spots, they also have a problem on the dimmers shutter here too, the focus is nice for a sharp edge but they dont give a nice soft edge like some other manafacutres, personally it would have to have been the R&J spots for me. Iv used and spec'ed a number of these units for shows and you really cant beat them. Follow spots are sometimes the thing thought of last on the budget list, but all good shows from Rock and Roll to Stand up use them, and Require them to be of a high working standard. R & J's are the ones for me!

Matt

I was not impressed with the Performer MSR's, shocking light output, the cutter is not a sharp cut but instead fuzzy, so you may as well not use it as it means that you have next to no light output.

I used a 575 discharge spot (round shape, american but the ballast had been re-done for 240v) and that was amazing! Sharp cutter, easy to use, lots and lots of light. (don't remember the name though, perhaps Altman?)

David

Archived