PLASA

peter

There seemed to be quite a lot of exciting new products there, but also a lot of fairly useless stuff.

Perhaps we should start two new polls: Best and Worst products of PLASA? The Blue Awards???

My nominations - BEST:

-D4 Elite (a console that works the way my brain works) - reliable, and Avo at least knew how to plot chases on their desks!

-Revolution, by ETC. Not exactly cutting edge, but the price tag is very attractive, and the feature set equally so.

My nominations - WORST:

-The bendy truss - I certainly wouldn't risk hanging anything off of it.

-The plethera of LED fixtures which, I'm sorry to say, are just not bright enough at the moment to be of any practical use to anyone other than installations in shops.

Ladies and gentlemen, I lay down the gauntlet to you...nominations by Midnight on the 10th, and then voting until Midnight on Friday the 12th.

Best Lantern: The Source 4 Revolution, that thing is quiet. Ugly as sin, mind.

And now some anti-awards:

Product so much comically smaller than I thought it was: Total Fabrications, New Wave.

Most suspicously non-moving moving light: High End, Catalyst DL1

Most entirely pointless product (for now): Strand Lighting LD24 - the same price as LD90s, currently.

Most fantastically over-packed stand: Bandit Lites, of course.

Most flagrant acceptance that PLASA is about 85% male: Abstract

If I think of any more, I'll let you know...

Thought of some more:

Best Stand Design: I kinda liked Robes. Always a sucker for truss domes.

Worst Stand Design: AC Lighting. Sorry guys, it was just too high and unfriendly. The Vistas looked a bit interesting, but it felt like being walled in.

Best-Hidden Stand: Zero 88. Never did find it. Good thing I knew where the pub was.

Most noteable abscence: Stage Electrics. Now, I know they never do PLASA, but that doesn't stop me wondering where they are.

Company most crestfallen to see me and ushered me away quite quickly: Verlinde.

Blimey !

ZERO88 had a stand :)

I did wonder why EV/KT/Midas needed a 7' Amazon to swipe my details.........

and I did see a stage LX presence there - a fair few stands hiring their lghts.....

but didn't think that there was that much new there - and why didn't the dl1's move - basically they ended up as glorified video projectors and not that good at that anyway!

a few points about some of the above:

peter, I thought exactly the same about the bendy truss then I found out in a conversation its not load supporting and was only there to show how good the motor control was, its not on sale nd is not going to be.

as far as the Revolution goes, the over all design that was shown was only a prototype, there are going to be some changes to the look before it is shipped and it is almost certainly going look nicer, the optics and circetry however will not be changed. there will also be more modules in the future to allow you to have mreo functions and these will almost certainly not be built by ETC but by other companies under liscence from ETC.

Having played with the fixture quite alot in the past few days I have to say its really worth a look for anyone who has not already seen it, its so quiet and so good its well worth the relitivly small price tag on it. (and no im not on any sort of commision)

Archived