Plasa

Brian

So, how many of you went to PLASA today (Sunday)?

You can probably guess that I did, mainly so that my other half could go. I will be going later in the week for a proper look.

What did I see?

Lots of moving lights, nearly ever other stand had moving lights on it. Lots of LEDs, I thought that last years show marked the arrival of LEDs and I think I was right. Lots of guys wearing black tee shirts with 'Dave's Dynamic Disco' or 'Spectrum of Sound' on the back. Actually I need to be careful here, since in my dim, dark, distant past I too ran a mobile disco (though in my defence we did have white sweat shirts).

Lots of products 'cut away' so you could have a good look at their inerds; as a real engineer I actuallly like this sort of exhibit.

What did you see?

Went up today. Met a few people I knew and said hi. saw lots of LED fixtures drooled over the new Catalyst system (which is clever as it's up in the air...) Saw some new kit from Strand for Macintosh (Finally!) but generally it's just nice to get to see the new stuff that's out there.

Oh yeah I met Mark leMaitre doing his pyro thing (very nice but a bit short)

Got to work this week so it's just the one day up there for me :o

Is it as bad as everyone says on Sunday, or can a bog standard theatre technician walk around and manage to get thru the throngs of DJs?

Stu

The last time I went on a Sunday was when the show was still at Olympia. It was terrible then, with loads of tax inspectors and quantity surveyors who play at being DJs at the weekends all wandering around in their flight jackets and clutching their aluminium briefcases. From what others have said, it sounds as though it's pretty much the same now - so a weekday would be a much better bet. But still generally not as good as ABTT, though - there you can at least talk to people at a conversational level without having to compete against most of the world's PA manufacturers all trying to out-boom each other.

This is the first year in a while that I haven't managed to get down to PLASA - and I don't think I'm missing a great deal (the only things I've heard about that I haven't already seen and would like a shufty at are the Catalyst DL1 and the new Jands desk).

Is it as bad as everyone says on Sunday, or can a bog standard theatre technician walk around and manage to get thru the throngs of DJs?

It's not too bad. Luckily, with the layout of the show, most of the DJ oriented stuff is down the back in the 'Substantial Sound' section. I did smile when I saw a company I know, who were first time exhibitors, and who sells cables/connectors etc had managed to pick a spot right at the back surrounded by possibly the three loudest stands. I guess next time they'll find a better spot.

I think the show was best summed up by someone on another stand who said that 'Sunday is the busiest day and then it gets serious'.

Anyone else see the fibre stuff up on the top deck in the Architectural section on stand DD80? Looks like a rope light but filled with a fibre which side scatters the light. Can run up to 100m. and be used underwater etc.

I think the show was best summed up by someone on another stand who said that 'Sunday is the busiest day and then it gets serious'.

I hate to see it on Sunday then, I thought today was busy!

Stu

Archived