Eltec 2000 Dimmer

harryh733

Hi everyone, When our college got its new lighting system, I managed to get one of the old dimmers from under the stage that was going to the skip, I rescued it as it was a shame to waste a piece of lighting history! B-) as far as im aware its working fine but I cant find anything to control it, I havent seen the connector before, Its an Eltec 2000 6 Channel Dimmer. I have posted some pictures of the dimmer and the connector here.

I would like to use it for the few lights I have and just to see if it works!

Thanks.

Harry

thank you very much! I wouldnt have ever been able to find out what it was without the help of Blue Room!! does anyone know what wires need to go to what pins when making such a connection? I could always replace the octal socket with an 8DIN cable but again wouldnt know what cables go where, im guessing the eltec uses a +10v, I know some dimmers use strange control voltages. I might even take it back to college if I can get it working and get a analogue to DMX converter, I knew they shouldnt have thrown it away :( . they did however skip all of the old patt23's, patt123's and patt60's. it seems such a shame to throw them away, I managed to get my hands on a few patt23's and patt123's just before they went but not all of them B-) anyway I seem to have gone off track, as I was saying if anyone has a wiring diagram or know what goes where then please let me know.

Thanks.

Harry

Yes they are +10v control. As to the wiring convention the only people that did not use a 1-1 (Pin 1 - Ch1) style was Pulsar. I can't help anymore than to suggest that someone who was competant enough to open the dimmer will be able to see where the wires go. Don't forget analogue is as simple as 1 control wire to each dimmer module / channel

Why go to all the hassle of making an octal to DIN converter, if you're so competent why not just swap the octal for a DIN, unless of course you are trying to keep the dimmer original, when one would ask why?

But if you do and you can't find an octal plug just buy a cheap 8 pin relay and remove the relay and use the base as a plug.

If I recall correctly pin out is 1 to 6 are channels, 7 is 15Volt supply to desk, 8 is ground.

Don't forget octal terminals are numbered sequentially, 8 pin DIN terminals aren't.

Yes they are +10v control. As to the wiring convention the only people that did not use a 1-1 (Pin 1 - Ch1) style was Pulsar. I can't help anymore than to suggest that someone who was competant enough to open the dimmer will be able to see where the wires go. Don't forget analogue is as simple as 1 control wire to each dimmer module / channel

I have an Eltec 2000 which had a different (unusual) connector until I changed it for a standard 8-pin DIN. Yes it is +10V control, and after taking the back off, it was obvious which pin went where. You could put a voltmeter between 7 & 8 for a start.

The Mini2, on the other hand, was -10V control.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I took the cover off the back and there is an obvious red and black going to the transformer, im guessing thats the positive +10 and the neutral. the others all go to the dimmers themselves, so this should be an easier job than expected.

Thanks!

Harry

Thanks Nigel, I took the cover off the back and there is an obvious red and black going to the transformer, im guessing thats the positive +10 and the neutral. the others all go to the dimmers themselves, so this should be an easier job than expected.

Thanks!

Harry

Nobody else seems to have said it, but I'll just add this:-

Please be entirely certain what you are doing! Electricity hurts when taken internally!

Jim

Edited to add the word "Please" I'm feeling polite today!

Il make sure Its not connected to the power while im working on it, and like I do with all electrical things I wire, Il cover my ears and stand well away when I turn it on :** laughs out loud **: . All the wires I looked at changing are all low voltage and run to the control connection so no mains involved. It says on the dimmer that its "One Phase" does this mean its suitable to run off a standard 13amp socket, If I do il never run all the lights at once.

Thanks.

Harry

Archived