Gaffer Goo

Andrew C

Can anyone recommend a solvent that will remove the goo left on TRS cables by old gaff? I've tried white spirit (ok, but not spectacular), RS sticky label remover, Iso-prop alcohol and cellulose thinners. Nothing really seems to move it :** laughs out loud **:

COSHH would have to be taken into account.....

Guest lightnix
Trichloroethylene ("Trike") will probably get rid of it, but to say that "COSHH would have to be taken into account" is possibly an understatement. It's quite nasty stuff.

one yank that I did a show with had this solution that smelled of oranges and did a good job of it. have a look at toolsforstagecraft.com

possibly a version of trike with some nasties taken out.

cheers

andrew

Cellulose thinners is the stuff. It's quite nasty (you can get a little "odd" on it if you use it for a while) but it works a treat on the gaffa goo.

EDIT: Ooops..just read your post again. Cellulose thinners works for me...perhaps you need to use more...? Trike, it is then.

On the subject of WD40, we were talking about the origins of the name at work the other day, and I'm pleased to report that it turns out that our theory about how it's named is true.

It stands for Water Displacer, 40th Attempt. So, somewhere, there was a WD38 which was almost right, but not quite. And a WD6, which was frankly crap. How great is that?

I'm looking forward to WD41...

• 1 year later...
600NT ;-) although what does the NT actually stand for?

Isn't it "new technology" or something equally meaningless.

Noiseless Technology I I was led to beleive. Although I would like to hear a Mac600NT that is noiseless!

Back to the OP, try (although sounds stupid) nail varnish remover, I'm not sure if that's what I was given to use before, It smelled similar....

Back to the OP, try (although sounds stupid) nail varnish remover, I'm not sure if that's what I was given to use before, It smelled similar....

AKA Acetone? Or a solution thereof perhaps?

Moderation: Having come back to this thread 4 years later to point a new OP at the answers I got, I've been through and deleted a fair few OT posts. No offence guys, just tidying up!

Archived