new dimmerpacks

stuartglen

Hi, my school's dimmer packs are in need of replacement (Analogue strand act 6). We need to replace them cheaply, I was thinking along the lines of 6 showtec mutlidims, we need 24 channels at least, any comments on these packsor suggestions of etter ones?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderation Note: Please ensure you are posting in the correct part of the forum - if you are a new user, please take the time to look around the forum first to see where best to post a question. If you are in any doubt, please consult with a moderator. Thankyou

As an aside, if your Act6s still work why bother replacing them? They are far, far better than the Showtec Multidims that would replace them. If you can no longer control them because they are analogue, think about getting a demux and making up the appropriate leads for the dimmers (with the correct control voltage).

Cheers

Stu

What control desk do you have? Because if it's analogue, I don't see why you'd replace your dimmers with DMX controlled ones, and still keep your analogue desk. I'd say keep the dimmers...I've seen plenty of schools do conversions to digital systems by just buying a demux box and new control desk. The Act6s are generally good dimmers, and if they're still working fine I just don't see the point. I guess I'm just asking why it is you need to replace them - you want to go digital? You need more channels? Or you just feel your dimmers are too old?

Several of the chanels on the dimmer packs have failed safety testing and cannot be used, also our only working control desk is DMX, we have a dmux but since we are gettiing some new 1000w parcan's I am hesitent on using them on these 30 year old dimmers

If they're 30 years old they're not Act6 racks. A Strand 6-way rack of that sort of vintage is going to be either Mini-2 (green front) or Tempus (red front) - although I don't believe Tempus was around until more recently than 30 years ago, so that's far less likely.

If your existing racks are shot, and you have a DMX desk, then it's a fairly easy upgrade route. Zero88, as suggested above, make good, reasonably-priced 6-way dimmer packs. Strand Act6+ racks have now been replaced by the new "Digi" or whatever it's called, so perhaps you'll be able to get a good deal on some end-of-line Act6+s. Or have a look in the Blue Room's Lighting FAQ for a list of links to suppliers of second-hand kit - a few of them regularly list an assortment of small dimmer racks for sale.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

What safety testing have been done on your dimmers?? Have they been tested by someone from the industry or is it someone who is PAT equipment once a year. We have three schools in the local area that have there dimmer packs (permanently installed) tested annually, by a reputable company!!! Each year we get a call to go and repair the units because there is a fault. The fault being that the PAT tester has damaged the internal components while testing.

These units are not portable (in this situation) and therefore shouldn't be in the remit of this PAT tester. Brick wall and Head!!!

In respect to your parcans as long as the incoming supply is sufficient and the dimmer has the capacity, the cabling and the plugs are up to the current you are going to draw then there should be no problem. A 1000w paracan at 240 volts will draw 4.16amps. The only reason you should be hesitant is if you don't understand all the aspects of your system. If that is the problem then you need to get out there and get professional assistance. There are very few people in the industry who are not will to speak to people, even visit them to give advice and assistance. It is always better to admit that you don't know and then people will help you , its the know it alls who really should be hesitant. It may seem like a daft question to you but most of us have heard it a thousand times before.

One last thing if its not broke why change it? (As mentioned in another post)

I would say that Zero88 dimmers are a good unit for the schools market and would recommend them.

Yes they are pat tested every year by a pat tester and every year we have a reduced number of dimming channels usable plus the fact that the channel fuses keep breaking. As far as power is concerned, the Stacge lighting is on a seperate circuit to the rest of the building equipment going through a large master switch and then 4 rcd's one for each dimmer pack. The manual control desk we had until it broke was a tempus desk, I was told by the previous head of technical lighting in my school that the lights were around 30 years old. If we were to get the new digi act 6's would we be able to just swap them with the current ones with no need for rewiring and if so does anyone know of a shop which sells them at a cheap price and is reliable

Ok, Since the old desk was a Tempus I guess the dimmers where probably the same. A great unit in my experience but I am guessing that the PAT tester is the problem.

It should be possible to prove that the PAT tester is at fault and then it would be there responsibility to fix /repair the units. You will need to get pro advice in your area regarding this, but on the surface they are the problem. I suspect that they have been doing the flash test and if memory serves me correctly this is what kills the dimmers. If the PAT company is up to scratch you should have reports on the equipment and why it failed, therefore be able to prove that they are the cause!! IE they have been doing the wrong tests and why are they PORTABLE APPLIANCE TESTING a unit that is hardwired in the school!!!! (This is a important question). You mention that the channel fuses keep breaking do you mean the fuse holders or the actual fuses?

Just replacing the units is possible, the only problem is from the electrical point of view the school probably has a electrical contractor who should do the job. Although since each one is on it's own RCD it shouldn't be too difficult.

There are many companies out there who sell the units. PM for details.

Stuartglen

Yes they are pat tested every year by a pat tester and every year we have a reduced number of dimming channels usable

As a result of the test or due to other circumstances?

If I was testing a portable dimmer pack and I was concerned with a single channel on the pack I would have to fail the whole unit. (all 6 channels)

plus the fact that the channel fuses keep breaking.

Huh??? Fuses blow and you replace them.

If fuses repeatedly blow when on load then you potentially have a problem, and one or more of your lanterns might need looking at.

As far as power is concerned, the Stacge lighting is on a seperate circuit to the rest of the building equipment going through a large master switch and then 4 rcd's one for each dimmer pack.

Are you sure? RCDs or MCBs?

The manual control desk we had until it broke was a tempus desk, I was told by the previous head of technical lighting in my school that the lights were around 30 years old.

I really like using Patt 743s They are of that age. Just because lanterns are old doesn't mean that they need replacing If they are safe then there is no point in disposing of them.

If we were to get the new digi act 6's would we be able to just swap them with the current ones with no need for rewiring and if so does anyone know of a shop which sells them at a cheap price and is reliable

One thing to bear in mind if you do go for pack replacements is the cost of wiring them up. Even if it is a simple job a contractor's fee and materials will not be inconsequential.

Just to check Do your dimmers look like

http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/control/actrange/act_dimmers.jpgThese?

http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/control/tempus/tempuspacks.jpgThese

http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/control/c_dimmers/mini2/mini2.jpgor These?

(Mod - Quotes fixed)

Definatly Act 6s then.

They can't be 30 years old as Strand only started making the first of them in 1984

I can't remember if the original 6s came with a 12x15A optionof if that came with the Act 6+ (which was later still)

To be honest you have 24ch of dimming in theory. How many blown fuses?

Archived