new dimmerpacks

stuartglen

Is there any difference between the strand demux and the boxtec me 72?

http://botex.com/4/me72.html

No there appears to be very little difference with the two demux units except strand supply their one with adapters to convert the 25pin pinout to match the pinout of the F&D interfaces which I found very useful when I switched

James

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No there appears to be very little difference with the two demux units except strand supply their one with adapters to convert the 25pin pinout to match the pinout of the F&D interfaces which I found very useful when I switched

James

James,

Please could you explain what adapters you get with the Strand S72 and what they are for? I can find no mention of them on Strand's site or on any vendor site.

It may link into my question here about replacing a demux with bleecon out with a strand/botex one and having to make leads or rewire to dimmers.

Thanks,

Andrew

You could try getting in touch with Zero88 in Wales who I belive are doing some special grant systems for schools where you get the kit for half price, don't know if it's still running but it's worth a look especially as they are releasing their new betapacks next week, which have lots of extra features for the same price as the old ones........(I sound like a salesman, do I get Commission on this????)

The adapters which come with the Strand S72 demux (and not with the cheeper Botex one) convert the bizarre output wiring of these devices:

pin 1 = channel 1

pin 14 = channel 2

pin 2 = channel 3

pin 15 = channel 4

[..]

pin 12 = channel 23

pin 25 = channel 24

pin 13 = COMMON

to something more sane:

pin 1 = channel 1

pin 2 = channel 2

[..]

pin 24 = channel 24

pin 25 = COMMON

If you already have a lead with a 25pin D plug to DIN / bleecon, mini-socapex, or hard wired to racks then chances are its wired the "sane" way. You'll therefore either need an adapter to use these demuxes, or rewire your 25 way D.

Hope that helps,

Marc

You could try getting in touch with Zero88 in Wales who I belive are doing some special grant systems for schools where you get the kit for half price,

I hope they are still doing this, ive just applied for it! but there is two oppurtunities to apply for the grant - and you've just missed one deadline by literally days and now the next one isnt till the end of the year!

in terms of it still going (hoping it is - but honestly I have been wondering - its till on thier website but they havent got any info on it since 2004) but I reckon peter kirkup (BR moderator + zero 88 king) is the guy to speak to!

If you want to do a dimmer upgrade then LSC EKO dimmers are nice!! We recently took out some year old Zero 88 dimmers cos they were too noisy! But yes, Zero 88 are still doing their scheme, as said, get in touch with Peter if you are interested...I'm sure he will be happy to help!

But at the same time - if they are just broke then getting them fixed will be a lot cheaper!

Archived