Vista PC

Neil Vann

Dear All,

We are pleased to announce that a public beta version of the Jands VistaPC software is now available for download at http://www.jandsvista.com/support.html.

Windows XP/Pentium4 is recommended and the software is not suitable for Windows 98/95. There are currently some console functions (eg Help) that are not implemented.

The Mac version is nearly complete and will be posted as soon as it is tested.

I hope that no one considers this advertising, but I have had so many requests for this software it seems to be something that is of general interest to the forum.

Manuals are also available at the same address.

Regards,

Neil

Neil Vann

AC Lighting

neil.vann@aclighting.com

Hi John,

Neil is away from his computer so I thought I would answer. We are going to offer a PC/Mac console with all the main bits you need. It will have 4 DMX universes on the rear with more via Artnet. We are also planning an inexpensive USB to DMX device for use with just the software. We are planning to offer the software in various channel counts, perhaps as low as 128ch for smaller systems.

We hope to be able to ship all of the above before September.

Regards,

Glyn O'Donoghue

Hi Neil,

Are there plans to bring out USB -> DMX interfaces, and control surfaces like some other manufacturers or is this purely an OLE?

Bryson,

We are just greedy! If you ask about, many, many people in our industry use Macs. Plus we think most people will be happier trusting their show to a Mac rather than Windows. Oh and the new Mac Mini is really inexpensive :-).

Regards,

Glyn

Available on both platforms.  Now that's an enlightened (pun intended) set of software developers.

Moderation: Quote fixed.

Plus we think most people will be happier trusting their show to a Mac rather than Windows. Oh and the new Mac Mini is really inexpensive :-)

I too am looking forward to the Mac OLE - I've just bought myself one of the aforementioend Mac Mini's so will be very interested in seeing what I can do with re: the Vista.

Stu

We are going to offer a PC/Mac console with all the main bits you need. It will have 4 DMX universes on the rear with more via Artnet. We are also planning an inexpensive USB to DMX device for use with just the software. We are planning to offer the software in various channel counts, perhaps as low as 128ch for smaller systems.

When you say a pc/mac console with all the bits you need you mean software (is this going to be free?) and a USB – DMX device in different channel options right? Not all the wings ect that would make this software great? I will probably get shouted at for saying this but at the moment I am looking at different PC lighting software packages and I know this is only in beta but it looks very good and the most promising. Hog 2 PC is great don’t get me wrong but the wings and widget are very expensive, so it isn’t and option for me… a fairly inexpensive usb-DMX device would be great for this (inexpensive relative to hog pc). What exactly will be ready to ship by September?

FWIW, I couldn't get the app past the splash screen on the first machine I tried. Nothing odd (XP, SP2), except it has a wide format monitor.

The app ran fine on my laptop (Win2K). I started with some XSpots and a couple of Catalyst layers and had some questions about the programming window. It seems that the Catalyst XY position is not exposed on the little XY grid control. Is this intentional? I use movement generation on Catalyst layers quite a bit, but that is just me.

Also, is there a way to make precision inputs on the little faders? It seemed that I needed to go to the RAW DMX pages on the 'Beam' control to get to a lot of features. There is a full/off, but no obvious 'small step' control. To get the values that I wanted, I ended up detaching the beam controls and stretching them, selecting "raw", and then dragging to the desired value.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. When Paul Rother and I used a personal computer for the Floyd Droids back in '87, I thought we were on the leading edge of a trend. I had no idea that the 'boom' that seemed imminent would take so long... :blink:

-jjf

The Mac version is nearly complete and will be posted as soon as it is tested.

Get in there!! Controling a lighting show from my PowerBook. Could it get any better? (Well I suppose having the actual desk would be nice.......

Can't wait to get my hands on this and have a play.

I can't download the file...I get an error message along the lines of "the shares expired, reached it's limit" or any other number of things.

Is it something I said?!?

Dan

Hi Dan

This was a server issue at the other end. Its now been resolved.

It proved very popular and one setting limited the number of downloads.

This has been resolved and you should be good to go.

Please let us know though if you still have a problem.

Many thanks

Lee House

AC Lighting Ltd

When you say a pc/mac console with all the bits you need you mean software (is this going to be free?) and a USB – DMX device in different channel options right? Not all the wings ect that would make this software great? What exactly will be ready to ship by September?

The only Vista product we will give away for free is the off-line editor. To output DMX you will need to purchase a dongle or a console. Currently we offer 2 sizes of standalone, self contained consoles. In September we will offer an additional console that will require a PC or Mac to operate. In addition we will offer a Vista PC/Mac software package that will output DMX. This will be dongle protected and available in many channel variants with the smallest possibly as low as 128 channels. At this time we are not quoting prices on anything apart from the 2 currently available Vista console options, T2 and T4.

I hope this clarifies the situation,

Regards,

Glyn

glyn.odonoghue@aclighting.com

Moderator's edit - dodgy quotes fixed. :P

Archived