3 par 64

1 10ft trussing

3 t bars

1 back drop

4 dimmer packs stage setter8 kit

1 dp dmx20l dimmer pak

1 lc2412

1 y2l mullaum

do you guys think this is a good show?and how can I make it better?

thanks

chris

Moderation, 8/3/05 23:40 - topic title changed to better reflect the content of the topic. When starting new topics, would members please select an appropriate title for the topic? Simply calling each and every topic you start "Lighting" doesn't really cut it....

You have already asked almost the same question so, before you go any further, read these threads here and here

Also, come up with some idea of how you're going to rig the lights with the hardware you've got. It might be worth talking to whoever you got the kit off, and seeing what success they've had in the past.

Read your manuals - get manuals for each bit of kit and play with the kit. Get some gels for your pars, prefferably 3-4 colours, to do basic washes on the stage. Positioning the lights in crazy places might let you do some cool fades which create the idea of movement. I would be very tempted to leave any "DJ" kit out - except scanners or moving heads, as they can work at gigs. Oh, and be careful about strobes. At the very least, it's common courtesy to stick a sign up saying strobe lighting will be in use, and in some (if not, all) areas of the country it's law - ask your local authority if you're unsure.

Above all, read other posts on Blue Room. They're full of useful titbits of information from people with lots of experience (namely NOT me ;) ). If I were you, before you post again, I would think long and hard about what posts other people have made, people won't hand you the information on a plate, you might have to search a little ;)

I'm not sure how A I can put this or B how some else will put it, but you are only as good as the design that you make, and the effects you produce from your equipment. I don't know what other's think but my tutor said that "you can make a amazing show with three/four lights."

ok guys I just started doing lights for a band this is what I got

1 laser the bat

1 dicovery marten

1 200wt strobe

1 vulcan

1 foger

4 elamaters

4 pin spots

2 moving pin spots

2 omegas 250wts

2 omegas 1 150wts

12 par 46

4 par 56

3 par 64

1 10ft trussing

3 t bars

1 back drop

4 dimmer packs stage setter8 kit

1 dp dmx20l dimmer pak

1 lc2412

1 y2l mullaum

do you guys think this is a good show?and how can I make it better?

thanks

chris

Moderation, 8/3/05 23:40 - topic title changed to better reflect the content of the topic. When starting new topics, would members please select an appropriate title for the topic? Simply calling each and every topic you start "Lighting" doesn't really cut it....

As has been said , think about how your going to rig the gear, you`ll be first in before the instruments and backline can go in and last out , after the band have cleared off to drink the bar dry.

Work out the pack for the van so that it all goes back in the way it came out, enforce on band that thats the way it goes in, everytime. Use large stick on drummer if neccesary. Last thing you need late on is pulling contents of LWB transit back on to the street to get everything in...

Make life as easy as possible for yourself, loom cables that go to same place together with tape, label everything, sometimes you may have ,erm, a foggy mind ;-), but still need to get the show together.

Get a lockable case for tools, spare lamps, fuses, mains leads and connectors, don`t let anyone `borrow` your gaffa tape.

Keep anything with a 13A socket away from the band, check again after backline is in, that no one has plugged in an amp in to your switched strobe feed.

Watch your power use , you may have more plugged in than feed can supply all at once, blown fuse in middle of concert rarely goes down well with crowd or band.

Concert lighting tends to differ from theatre lighting in that its more back and side than front light. Back lighting helps the band stand out from the background, pinspots and moonflowers can be useable as an ACl style beam effect.

Usual rule that people who are seen are easier heard , so remember to keep some light on the singing talent.

Floor lighting has its uses, remember cymbals are very reflective and animated.

Don`t use all your tricks in the first two tunes.

Have FUN

I would agree with The Kid. I did a gig a few weeks ago with 8 lights - all generics, which looked better than a gig I saw with 12 generics, 4 scans and all sorts.

Play around with your kit, maby get a book on lighting, learn the rules, then break them :). For some gigs, it might be worthwhile just leaving some stuff out. And, as Mush said, save some stuff for the finale.

I would agree with The Kid.  I did a gig a few weeks ago with 8 lights - all generics, which looked better than a gig I saw with 12 generics, 4 scans and all sorts.

Play around with your kit, maby get a book on lighting, learn the rules, then break them :D.  For some gigs, it might be worthwhile just leaving some stuff out.  And, as Mush said, save some stuff for the finale.

ok thanks . how about this if I put the pars on the back trussing crossing instead of straight?

ok thanks . how about this if I put the pars on the back trussing crossing instead of straight?

Oh, for heaven's sake - have you ever thought about making your own mind up, and just trying it out to see how it looks? If, as you say, you own the kit, it would be very easy to try it out.

Do you post to an internet message board for help with deciding what colour socks to put on in the mornings, or what to have for your lunch? The way you focus your lights is down to personal taste - you can't just rely on people to tell you how to do it and blindly follow what they say.

Archived