Help with a 4 colour Wash

Simon T

Hi,

I am just wondering what would be a decent 4 colour wash for a festival application.

I want a decent dark(ish) blue - ie not as light as peacock blue but one that will work fairly well with 100W, 300W and 575W (PAR20, PAR56 and Source 4) lanterns. (I know the colour temp of the lamp will affect the colour to a certain degree). I also want one of them to be Bright Pink (LEE 128) or very similar.

What other 2 colours would be good in this situation?

So to recap, I want a Bright Pink or similar, a darkish blue (that would contrast nicely with the pink) and also two other colours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

More information needed.

What kind of festival? Music? Dance? Comedy? Something else?

Is there any set? Or is it playing against blacks?

What colour's the floor?

If you want one of them to be 128, then that's answered that one straight away.

For a nice mid-blue (sticking with the Lee range) you can't usually go wrong with a good old-fashioned 132. Or perhaps 068 or even 075 if you want something leaning more towards the 'red' end of blue. Or even 079 if you want to go darker (but with lanterns rated as low as 100w that's probably not advisable, apart from in the Source4 Pars!).

104 always works quite well as an amber. Perhaps 101 if you want a 'harsher' yellow. Or 020 for something a bit more orangey.

Fourth colour could be a red - perhaps an 019 or 164. 106 would probably be a bit too deep for your low-wattage lamps (S4 Pars notwithstanding).

Or perhaps a 116? Kind of green, without actually being green, which is probably a good thing.

In short, do whatever takes your fancy, but don't try to get too adventurous or it'll come back and bite you on the arse when one of the turns comes in with an old-fashioned red/blue/colours variety lighting plot and you've only got odd colours up there!

Hi Simon,

Having recently lit a few events like this I tend to go for the following:

Primary Red (Lee 106)

Primary Green (Lee 139)

Dark Blue (Lee 119)

Magenta (Lee 113)

Im not sure how well the Dark Blue will come out with a PAR 20 behind it, as the absorption is very high, but Ive found it works well with a nice Source 4.

Hope this is of use....

Tom.

Hi,

Thanks for the couple of replies; a little more about the gig:

Its a folk festival, most of which will be in the daytime - there wont be any plots provided by artists.

The stage is (unfortunately) 2 artic trailers, one in front of the other, giving the extra depth required (we have no control over the stage). I will be putting in a starcloth back drop, as much trilite as I need to get a fairly good looking stage going on, 4 Pearl River Pilot 150`s, 4 NJD Chroma 50`s as truss warmers (which work pretty darn well), 32 100W PAR 20`s, 8 PAR 56`s, 8 Source 4`s and a couple of 2x650W blinders.

I have 1000W PARs, but there aint exactly a big budget so I`m not going to go over the top.

Lets hope it doesnt rain eh!

Cheers

Simon

Guest lightnix

One tried and trusted formula is W.O.M.B.

White (open)

Orange (Lee 158 or 135 for something more saturated)

Magenta (Lee 128, as you wanted)

Blue (Lee 119 or try 132 for a lighter shade)

If you have already allowed for white in your plans, you could try a nice Cyan type shade (Lee 115 or 116) or possibly a Lavender (say Lee 180).

Which folk festival, by the way ?

Hi,

Yeh, I`ve already allowed for white frontlight; so I`m after 4 different colours.

Its just a small folk festival down here in North Devon, "Our World is Not for Sale" I think the Fine Young Cannibals are playing so that might be a laugh - we`re doing the sound too.

Cheers

Simon

The 'daylight' bit throws a whole new spin on the problem. There's very little point in trying to do much in the way of a colour wash, coz it'll just be obliterated by anything but the most grey, 'orrible and cloudy of days.

You say you've already accounted for some open white wash on the stage, which is good. If you'e going to go for any colour at all in the front light or side light, go for lighter ones - 111, 147, 115, 161, that kind of thing. anything more will just suck all the light out of the beams and you may as well just not bother.

A bar of fixtures at the back, doing a backlight in a few nice colours, always works well - but in this kind of situation, unless you've got some fairly pokey lamps up there (e.g. Par64) it isn't going to be doing a great deal on stage, it'll be there mainly for aesthetic reasons to 'dress' the back of the stage a bit and make it look pretty.

Then you've got your NJD things to warm the truss, your Pilots to do some movement out into the eyes of the punters (lamps that small in daylight are bugger-all use for anything else), your blinders, and hopefully a nice comfy chair, some pizza and some halfway-decent bands to listen to. :(

Yeh, daytime, but only mostly.

It doesnt finish until 11pm so there will be at least a couple of hours where there will be some time for a bit of fun.

If it was only daytime, they`d be getting a few source 4`s with light colours for a little extra frontlight! (For when the sun goes behind the clouds) :)

So like you say, I can imagine it being a day of comfy chairness - but then I wont get away with that because as I mentioned, we`re doing the sound as well and I`m sure I`ll be plenty to do with the classic festival band changeovers!

Hopefully it`ll be dry, and as its not until August 30th, there should be a couple of hours at the end of the day to do some fun things with the lights!

Cheers

Simon :)

Just a couple of suggestions - I like L795 (Magical Magenta) as an alternative to L128, slighly more saturated but same transmission, and possibly more redder.

As an amber L179 (Chroma Orange) is nice as an alternative to 101, 104 or 158.

I like going with L180 as a mix with L119/132 but thats about the only colour is works well with (!).

Stu

Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions, where is the best place to get my hands on a sheet of each colour (Will decide tomorrow - just got back from a gig) - I need somewhere to have them in stock so I can get my hands on them this week.

Cheers guys

Simon

where is the best place to get my hands on a sheet of each colour

Any of the major suppliers will mail-order them to you - White Light, Stage Electrics, AC Lighting, etc. Alternatively, tell us where you are and we might be able to point you towards a local supplier.

Hi,

I`ve ordered them from white light.

I have an account with Stage Electrics but the nearest is Exeter which is an hour away(even more than that with all the holiday makers down here at the moment); there is nowhere any nearer that I could just go and pick some up from.

Cheers

Simon

Archived