Which Moving Heads (250W MSD)?

amillar

Hi,

This is my first post so hopefully I've done it correctly :D

I have been doing lighting for many years but only as a "semi-professional hobby" mainly for Church groups with any funds raised going back into the equipment.

I am in the market, with a limited budget, for a couple of moving head lights - preferably 250W MSDs. This is to complement my current rig which consists mainly of Pars, fresnels, 2 Martin Pro 518s (MkII) and a Fat Frog desk.

I have been considering the following movers (listed cheapest first ... at least as I can source them):

FutureLight MH-660

FutureLight PHS-250

Pearl River Pilot 250

GLP YPOC 250

Robe Spot 250XT / ColorSpot 250

Martin Mac 250+

I guess that I'm after all the features as I tend to do a variety of events (from Choirs to dramas to rock concerts) so I need units that are flexible. I only do about 1 event per month and as I don't hire/lend out any of my gear it doesn't get much abuse. One thing that I am after in particular is a fairly wide beam angle as an option (18deg ish) so that I can use them to project patterns at the back of the performing area from fairly close distances but having said that I do want the images to be fairly well focussed.

At present I'm leaning towards the GLP units as they seem to fit the bill but they don't seem that common within the UK/Ireland (I'm based in N Ireland). I just missed out on a couple of 2nd hand FutureLight MH-660s but I would prefer to buy new anyway.

The Pearl River units are very well priced but I do not like the rumours that I hear about them in respect to ripping off other manufacturers designs - morally I have a problem with that if the rumours are true? Besides, I have heards varying reports on their reliability and would be concerned as to who I would go to for service/support in 3 or 4 years time if I have a problem (especially as I would be buying them from Thomann).

I am still waiting for definite prices on the Robe units from a couple of sources so they might move in the list above.

I am interested in hearing your views on the above, especially in relation to GLP, and whether or not you folk think I should be considering any other units.

Thanks,

Andrew.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.

Ive used all the above apart from the GLP, like you say they are not very common.

As far as features go they are all around the same spec.

the ROBE head is by far the best 250w moving head in its class curently on the market, and is by far the brightest in terms of optics.

And retails around £1300, which is very good for a product of its class!!

I own a few of these fixtures and they are superb.

I would stay away from the cheaper brands, if something goes wrong its a hell of a way to send them back. You can purchase the ROBE, and Martin fixtures from within the UK, for the same price you have seen at Thoman!!! if you look around.

the future light products used to be made by ROBE, but have since started to manufacture there own under there name, and the quality isnt as good.

the Pearl river units are OK, but dont exspect anything massive from them.

The MAC250 is martin so is exspetionaly built, but are prone to faults, now and again. The MAC250 is also becoming obsilite because of the replacement Krypton, and Entour heads that Martin have just brought out, and again still the same features as the ROBE, but a hell of a price difference.

(please note I am endorsed by ROBEuk, but I only give hounest true advice)

Im sure many will agree that ROBE are one of the best in its class.

Spot 250xt on tour

vince

Edit, having looked at the GLP website they seem to look like hybrids!, they are sort of mixed bag between Future light, griven, and showtec products. The controllers are also re-badged showtec, stairville products. all german manufacturers thats why tomman are distributing them!!!

I have only had experience with the GLP and the Mac's on this list. Both are good units, although different.

From experience if you want precise indexing of gobos use a Mac250+, if you want fast movement, built in shapes / sound activation then look at the YPOC.

On a show with both units, the YPOC's seem brighter and the default gobo set is better, although the beam is slightly narrower.

I am aware that the are many GLP units installed on clubs in the south (AVL installations) and the reliability is Good. Having tour'd both units I am happy to say there are both VERY reliable but as always this is down to the hire company looking after their kit.

Hope this helps

Regards

Tim Matthews

I was made aware that Bandit Lites Northern Ireland were selling off all of there gear which included some MAC 250 kryptons... not sure if thats been and gone now but you never know. Also AC Lighting have a 2nd hand sale going and that includes some mac's and I think there maybe even some SGM gittos going.

Personally having used MAC250 Entours recently they are amazing little fixtures... small, compact, wicked beam angle.. cool gobos... and some decent colours to.

Hope that helps.

Edit, having looked at the GLP website they seem to look like hybrids!, they are sort of mixed bag between Future light, griven, and showtec products. The controllers are also re-badged showtec, stairville products. all german manufacturers thats why tomman are distributing them!!!

Yes, I noticed that the controllers were re-badged showtec - didn't fill me with any great confidence.

Tim - thanks for the info on GLP - I had already emailed AVL to enquire about them (no response yet mind you). Anybody else used them?

I'll give Bandit Lites a try but AC-Lighting didn't have anything suitable (within budget) - they were a possibility for the MH-660s but they sold them on Friday :D

Cheers Guys.

Andrew.

Robe do make some nice fixtures - not sure about £1300, thought it was more like £800?

HES make some nice ones too, but not cheap.

Pearl River are very good for Optics, and SGM equipment is nice.

All in all honesty, I would go for Robe (who this/last year have done Martin a lot of damage).

not sure about £1300, thought it was more like £800

Thats cheap!!!!!!

the list price is £1,350.00 and £1,850.00 for the MSZoom!

You may find it hard to get the spot250 for £800!! thats less than Tomann are selling them at.

If ya have the budget though the 250AT is a good upgrade, and is around £1,100.00 from thomann.

I would go for Robe (who this/last year have done Martin a lot of damage).

This is true, but still a lot of LDs and technicians will not touch anything else exsept Martin cos its like the standard.

I used to be the same, but after taking of the blinkers, and looking at different manufacturers, Robe being the main one, ive very quickly disregarded these standards.

vince

I haven't had much of a chance to work with ROBE stuff but on the few ocassions I have worked with it the first time I went a long expecting it to be disco sh :o te but was proved wrong. The spots I used had some lovely gobos in and where very quick and bright and the washes were equally impressive! A lot of old style LDs and technicians seem to be very ignorant regarding newer brands of ml's and lanterns. :D

Sam

If ya have the budget though the 250AT is a good upgrade, and is around £1,100.00 from thomann.

My target budget is £1700 (and that's inc. VAT!) - I would only consider stretching if there were some very good reasons - hence the original post.

So I guess my dilemma is to:

a) spend <£1500 on Pearl River or FutureLight and put the "left over" money to other bits and pieces

b) spend £1700 on the GLP's,

or c) push the boat out to around £2K for the Robes or Macs

The Pearl Rivers have wheel selectable lens system to give different beam angles - does anyone know if this works well or is it a lens on front of a lens and perhaps reduces the light output?

Also, from the specs I liked the gobos that come with the GLPs. PR's don't come with any glass gobos but does anyone know if they can take them?

Andrew.

Hi Andrew.

The Pearl Rivers have wheel selectable lens system to give different beam angles - does anyone know if this works well or is it a lens on front of a lens and perhaps reduces the light output?

I've used the Pilot 250s extensively before and only ever noticed a small drop in the light output by using the seperate lens. Pg.11 of the manual (downloadable from the PR website) shows that at 5m the light output with the 15.5º lens is 2100lux but 1420lux with the 19.5º lens. My only issue with the lenses is that it doesn't go any bigger than 19º (slightly annoying), oh and that they are on the same wheel as the CTC filters - also annoying.

PR's don't come with any glass gobos but does anyone know if they can take them?

PR's do take glass gobos, not sure if they can on both wheels but I know they do. They are the same size as Mac 500 gobos if it helps.

I've reviewed this fixture on here before (well I say review, commented) so I'm sure a search will chuck it up.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Stu

PS.

Well, a Mac250+ is about 1750 I think, so macs ent as much as you think!

Well when the OP only has a total budget of £1700 or so, Macs costing £1,750 each isn't going to help much is it?

Stu

For your information I have set up this little table so all the info is in front of you, info is mainly from the Moving Light Resource (amongst other places)

Future Light MH-660

Beam Angle----Iris---Col Wheel---Rot. Gobos--Prism----------DMX Channels

15 (12/19 opt.).....No.............11..................6.....Yes 3 Facet.................14 or 16

http://www.moving-lights.com/Images/MH-660.jpg

Peal River Pilot 250

15.6 (17/19 opt.).. No.........9................7............Yes 3 facet................13

http://www.pr-lighting.com/images/new/pilot250web2.gif

GLP YPOC 250

15 (18 opt.)......... No.........11................6............Yes 3 facet................15

http://www.glp.de/ypoc250_2_k.jpg

ROBE 250XT

15 (12/18 opt.)......No.........11................6...........Yes 3 facet................16

http://www.robe.cz/images/products/spot250xt.jpg

ROBE Color 250AT

15 (12/18 opt.)......No.........10................7...........Yes 3 facet................14-20

http://www.robe.cz/images/products/colorspot250at.jpg

ROBE Color 250AT

14 (17/21 opt.)......No.........12................8...........Yes 3 facet (or frost)<-..9/11/13

http://www.moving-lights.com/Images/Mac250.jpg

Sam

Well, a Mac250+ is about 1750 I think, so macs ent as much as you think!

Well when the OP only has a total budget of £1700 or so, Macs costing £1,750 each isn't going to help much is it?

Stu

I do have a good quote for ex-demo Mac250+'s which keeps them within my stretch target - so please keep the comments coming against all the units and don't get too bogged down with my budget issues although the Robes are working out the most expensive.

Andrew.

PS: I must admit that I think the GLP and Robe units are the best looking ones - but that shouldn't really be a factor in my decision I guess.

yep the Robe units are £88.32p over your budget!!

Well I think in all aspects its between the GLP and Robe fixture, I would leave the others.

I must admit that I think the GLP and Robe units are the best looking ones - but that shouldn't really be a factor in my decision I guess

No this is quite important, they have to look right, cheaper fixtures ussaly look cheap.

the pearl river units, are very plastic looking, and the future light fixture is glossy plastic!!

I must admit the GLP looks beefy and well built, but I wouldnt really go for it knowing that it seems to be a spin off from showtec and stairville, with a dash of future light thrown in.

I know for a fact that the Robe is perfect in all details.

I started with one robe product, I now have over 16 of them!

Having something that lasts, to me is a worth that little bit more of an investment.

there is no point in spending £1500 on something thats gonna possibly breakdown before you have had chance to earn the money back on them!!

I've used the robe pilot 300's which I was impressed with the two gobo system - not much more than the 250, cost wise.

I wouldn't worry at all about them appearing to be the 'same'. After all, Robe produced fixtures for many big names for ages before releasing them as their own. Even the manuals were the same, including the spelling mistakes!

One thing that isn't in the specs is the amount of defocus they have. Something like a Mac250 defocusses to a very soft edge that is quite a bit bigger than the max hard focus beam width. It's not too even, but it blends ok. The PR 300's didn't go anywhere as far out of focus, so if this is important to you, it could make a difference.

paul

Archived