Audio Cue Software for Linux?

DeepSpacePenguin

I use q lab, its an amazing bit of software for audio cues,

it lets your do pretty much everything :)

you can also add video cues and animation etc to a monitor/projection

The OP is after Linux software! QLab is OS X only.

Hmmmm...at the risk of starting an argument, I tend to select that applications that work as I intend then select an operating system that runs them. Picking an OS then saying "what can I use on it" sounds backwards to me.

For exactly this reason, as much as I'd like to get involved with Linux, I haven't yet because the DAWs and playback software that have all the features I want just don't exist for it.

You may take a different view, but just sayin'....

You could try Audacity and load all the music/FX files into the program, then cascade the file list on the screen and try that. A bit clunky but it does work.

Bobbsy, and anyone else on the verge of trying a new OS other than Mac (itself a hive off the BSD software based on Unix) you might consider using a Linux distro(bution)for your everyday domestic tasks. If you stroll over to Distrowatch:

http://distrowatch.gdsw.at/

you can get a feel for the OS and d/l a distro or hundreds for free. There are "quite" a few to choose from. Ubuntu was the distro of choice for those wanting a straightforward OS and packages (with minimum hassle and no need to do command line stuff) but lately Mint appears to be more popular. These are based on Debian, which is a sort of a "grandfather" distro and has countless grandchildren and even greatgrandchildren.

These distros might be considered a bit "vanilla" by the Linux aficionados but they work very well indeed. Linux is not really affected by viruses or nasties as such so no need for AVG and the like. However, Linux does not convey total freedom from dodgy types so you still need to be aware when accessing some financial type sites ie Linux cannot protect you from yourself if you fill in online forms, say.

You are advised too that when offered updates you should do the d/l and allow the software to do its thing.

Ardour is a fantastic DAW on linux.

I'd be very wary of running critical software through WINE. It's let me down in the past, and passing audio in and out is just asking for trouble somewhere along the line.

Interesting to see this topic come up - I've been a solely Linux based user (indeed I help develop Debian) for more than a decade now, but I ended up looking around at what I could find which could match QLab and couldn't come up with anything promising looking (I'd used QLab briefly on someone else's setup). I ended up treating myself to a Mac Mini and a QLab licence, which I'm happy with.

Apart from the feature sets of the software, I was a bit wary about good driver support and ease of setup/configuration of a Linux based system. My day job is a Linux systems administrator, and I decided I didn't want to be distracted by system configuration issues during a show when working in the theatre for fun, and QLab is a tough one to beat.

Apart from the feature sets of the software, I was a bit wary about good driver support and ease of setup/configuration of a Linux based system. My day job is a Linux systems administrator, and I decided I didn't want to be distracted by system configuration issues during a show when working in the theatre for fun, and QLab is a tough one to beat.

Audio under Linux is one of those areas that just hasn't had the design and thought put in to it that it has on other platforms. There are very few professional level audio interfaces that can be spoken to under under Linux. It is very difficult to do low latency audio because the APIs just aren't designed with this in mind and people keep putting more user space gumph in the way.

I use Linux for development at work every day. However I own a Mac for doing sound work as that is what the software, QLab, Logic and Mainstage, runs on. Others use Windows and SFX, Multiplay and things like Cubase. I'm afraid this is a case of the right tool for the job and in this case Linux is not it.

Bobbsy have you looked at jack and all its various plug ins,maybe take a look atubuntu studio .Not that im biased in anyway of course :P

Alas, I've looked at Linux-based audio software a number of times and it's never been in the same league as the stuff I use on my Windows machine. I've never thought about the "why" by Chelgrian's post makes sense to me.

And, as others have pointed out, it's not just a software issue. I just had a look and neither of my external interfaces (one firewire, one USB) have Linux drivers available either.

I'm in quite a unique situation where I have an RME DIGI96/8 card, which is very well supported by Linux, and not at all by Windows 7. Yes that is because I sought out a card that worked under Linux, but the lack of Windows support meant I got it at a rock bottom price! Thanks again to the guy on these forums who pointed the ebay auction to me, it's a fantastic card!

Archived