lighting desk recomendations

endorphin

I need a little help in finding the right desk.

Budged is around £400 and the desk needs to be preferably 24 channel. its uses need to range from theatrical to rock/ live music

I don't plan on using it for movers.

I am assuming that second hand is the way to go but without much experience its a bit of a minefield.

any recommendations or ideas where I might find a desk gratefully received

Edd

The Search function on this forum (top-right of your screen) is a wonderful thing. There are two topics that have been active in the last month or so that cover very similar ground to your question - this one and this one. I'd suggest a read through those to see if they help at all. Go back further and I'm sure there are many other topics covering small lighting desk recommendations.

FWIW, as I've said many times before in goodness knows how many different topics, for this kind of application and budget you really can't go wrong with a Strand 200.

sorry I should have made my post clearer I have read through the forum many times and have been looking at the strand 200 as sugested. Its just at the moment im looking for second hand and was woundering the best places to look. (ive tried ebay/ acligting ect and at the mo they dont have anything)

I have read that the strand is ok for doing theater stuff ie stacked cuses but wondered if it is ok for live work but I take it it is.

Cheers

The search continues...

[edit] I cant decide whether the 12/24 or 24/48 would be best . ie worth spending the extra money. at the moment I run on about 20 channels from a DMX dongle on a computer. ti seems to me that having to use the desk in wide mode would be a hinderance though as ive not done this I am looking for advice [edit]

Edd

Strand desks are just fine for 'busked' shows - no problem there.

You're not going to find much in the way of second-hand 200s on the market right now - they're far too new. But for your £400 budget, you can easily pick up a brand new 12/24.

If you can afford to go for the 24/48, then go for it. Not only would it give you the expansion possibilities for later on, but you also give yourself the option to run your 20 channels in proper two-preset mode rather than having to use the 'hold' function. I'd wager that most of the time you'll find yourself operating in submaster mode, but the facility for two-preset operation is always a nice fall-back to have available to you.

Sorry to postjack.

My school are considering a strand 200 24/48 to replace our ageing (sp?) (and developing faults) Sirius 24, for use in similar situations. However. as we don't have a control booth, we operate LX (and noise) FOH. The 200 doesn't seem to have provision for a lamp, any suggestions?

Speel Chunk won't tell me: aging or ageing. which is correct?

Two replies for the price of one ... ;)

The video card is definitely available - any Strand dealer should be able to get you one. I've never used one on my 200, but I'd imagine it would make life much easier for fairly complicated shows. I never do any complicated shows on my 200, though, so ....

Zaphod, you're quite right that there's no provision for a desk lamp. As soon as mine's out of warranty (which, thinking about it, is going to be very soon) I think I might look at adapting it so that the power brick for the console and a PSU for a Littlite are internal to the desk, and there's an IEC inlet and an XLR for a Littlite on the back panel.

The 200 doesn't seem to have provision for a lamp, any suggestions?

Use a 4way when rigging up your desks and buy one of those cheap little 12v Halogen desk lamps you can get from the usual suspects for a few quid. If it's too bright, pop some blue gel on it, and make a tiny slit in the middle - lets white light onto your desk, but not anywhere else.

If this version gets too hot, get a normal desk light and shove a 15w lamp in it, and perhaps still some gel - won't get as hot tho.

Stu

A random thought on the subject of desk lamps + gell:

In the days before I new better than to attach gels to things with gaffa (it melts) I attached a gel to my desk lamp with gaffa. my desk lamp still has a pretty back of a bit of gaffa pattern on it now, so don't use your own and use some thing which won't melt (we use masking tape. yes I know this is still dodgey but for desk lamps it's ok)

Archived