Being Hanged On Stage

kat

For a performance in December we have decided that we need 4 people to be hanged on stage at the same time. As the piece is set in the times when people were not hung by dropping them through trap doors, but by them being slowly pulled off the floor by a rope around their neck. We want to do it as realistically as possible, preferably without transition screens, or shadows, just straight, simple acting. I was wondering if the method we've come up with is the safest possible?

We're going to rig up builder's scaffolding and attach four safety cords alongside four ropes, so we could winch the four people up into the air, about a foot from the floor. Each safety cord and rope would be attached to a climber's harnesses - at the waist - which each of the 'victims' would be wearing. An unattached ring of rope would be placed over each person's head so that to the audience it would look like one continuous piece of rope from the ceiling to their neck. The victims would then be left hanging mid-air, as if they'd been hung.

Is there a safer way of doing this?

We also need a way of having a man commit suicide by hanging himself, we would once again be using the scaffolding and obviously the safety cords and harnesses. This death would involve being dropped from a chair/table/etc, but we are very unsure as how to do this, does anyone know of a way to do this? Or even a site that I could find out from?

Kat

Hi

I believe that was a topic I started, about hanging someone in silhouette. After warning people as many times as I could about how unsafe this was I still ended up being pressured into doing it. I made the weakest , safest rope I could but found the cast had tried to make it stronger. This isn't something I'll ever try again, without the professionals. You will probably realise from reading that topic that hanging someone really isn't a good idea, no matter how fake it realy is.

If, however, you do find a safe way of doing it, then you may find that climbing harnesses wont hang someone vertical. There is also an issue of suspension trauma (I think thats what it is known as???) when someone is left suspended in a harness. Edit: Info Here which I think would apply to your situation.

I'm sure others can explain this better

Really, don't do it yourself, especially the simulated drop part. Even without making it look like a hanging there are many ways for that to go wrong. Especially don't do that off builder's scaffolding using a climbing harness; climbing (and many rigging) harnesses aren't designed for prolonged suspension, and builder's scaff isn't designed for sudden dynamic point loads.

Please get a flying company to set it up for you.

We had a hanging in the Lyric hammersmith version of Oliver twist that toured earlier on this year. We used AFX. Give Andy or Graham a call. Andy's work number is 07958 285608.

If you want to know more about how we did it then let me know.

Dazzler

Given that you are a school it's highly unlikely you'll have the budget to pay for it.

And please, PLEASE don't do it yourself. The probability of failure is great, and the consequences devastating.

In my opinion the best idea is to not do it at all, but to use sound effects and blackouts to give the effect. In many cases trying to be too realistic on stage doesn't work anyway, and can even look tacky.

I'd have to agree with whats already been said.. Get a professional flying company in to set up and assist you... I've heard of folk even consulting the British Climbing fed about things like this... purely because of the amount of strain your harness will be under..

Quote:

After warning people as many times as I could about how unsafe this was I still ended up being pressured into doing it. I made the weakest , safest rope I could but found the cast had tried to make it stronger.

1) Pressure? Like a gun pressed to your head? Sorry, don't get that.

2) Cast made the rope stronger? If you hadn't done it that way, they couldn't have.

I'm assuming nothing went wrong, thank goodness.

Interesting how you say you'll never do it again.........

We are only here once, let's all try to make it last as long as we can?

Quite agree with Chris' post, you either are a free thinking person or not.

If you believe something to be unsafe, which you clearly do otherwise you would be happy to do it again, then don't do it in the first place.

The key phrase for me is in the first line, where the phrase "we have decided" is used. I have to say as a student on this board, I can never see myself agreeing to do anything of this nature in the theatre until:

1. I have received specific certified professional training on how the proceedure is carried out safely.

2. Have seen it done a number of times by professionals and feel confident enough to turn round to a performer and say - the setup I am about to use IS safe - not maybe, not possible, but categorical.

Sorry this all sounds very harsh - but I think with something this serious, you have to always think worse case scenarios - which in this case simply doesn't bear thinking about.

James

Assuming that the production actually needs people hung on stage, The declared plan of using a scaf tube to support four people doesnt stand up to the applied load. And the suspension of a person in a harness is the start of suspension trauma which can kill in less than six minutes.

Archived