Live PA Mixing Desks?

Jambo_UK

Hi every1,

Just got a couple of quick questions for fountain of knowledge which is Blue Room,

My friend is going into doing Productions at local schools and wants to go into it using a PA mixing desk an wants some advice on which one to get and where from,

He needs about 12 channels and these need to be able to be used for mics and instruments, So I guess all inputs should be the same either XLR or Jack,

he currently has a budget of under £200 it could be more it I talk in in to it more. She wants a desk that is reliable and it does not have to be brand new,

so can anyone help him

thanks again

from

Jambo

for that budget I'd go Behringer. I've got a UB1832FX of theirs and it's not a bad little desk for the money. I bought it when I got fed up carting a bigger desk around when all I needed was half-a-dozen channels.

For £187 you get...

6 mono channels, mic on xlr, line on jack

4 stereo channels, line only on jack

3 aux sends

built in fx unit (reverb/echo/chorus etc)

9-band graphic which can be in the main or monitor feed

1 stereo sub-group

built in psu (no wall-wart)

I'd second (?third) Behringer. I have an MX2642A which gives you...

• 16 channels spread over 8 mono (XLR/Line) and 4 stereo (Line)

• 4 subgroups
  • EQ on all channels (4band on mono, 3band on stereo)
  • 6 aux sends
  • 4 aux returns
  • Inserts and Directs on mono channels
  • Main stereo mix
  • 2trk input
  • Phantom Power
  • Rack mountable

The power supply is external, but fairly good quality so it should last, especially if you rack mount the lot. I can't find a price for one at the moment, but when I bought it it was around £200.

HTH

Hi every1,

Just got a couple of quick questions for fountain of knowledge which is Blue Room,

My friend is going into doing Productions at local schools and wants to go into it using a PA mixing desk an wants some advice on which one to get and where from,

He needs about 12 channels and these need to be able to be used for mics and instruments, So I guess all inputs should be the same either XLR or Jack,

he currently has a budget of under £200 it could be more it I talk in in to it more. She wants a desk that is reliable and it does not have to be brand new,

so can anyone help him

thanks again

from

Jambo

Looks like someones friend is having some gender issues :unsure:

But yeah I would agree with the Behringer suggestion, especially looking at the budget, I've got a nice 4 (6 according to them) channel mixer, on which note double check how many seperate channel faders they will actually be giving you.

PN

My first proper sound desk was a slightly battered but fairly servicable Allen & Heath 16-4-2 which Is now currently acting as a good bedside table in it's flightcase.

http://www.allen-heath.com/veterans/products/42_series/42_series.jpg

:unsure:

one thing to watch fror with earlier allen+heath stuff is that pin 3 is wired hot,shouldnt cause to many problems if its the olny desk being used though,also I may know of an old soundcraft 200b for sale,12+2 inputs,4 aux,4 subs and upto 8 returns,olny thing is its a bit of a heavy beasty

If you can go for Allen and Greaf- had some run in's with Behringer kit before. Ok, but not the best. Try a Mix Wizzard or something equivalent. No idea on cost though....try Google, as I need to get to bed!!

Expect to pay around £695 for a 12-channel mix wizard. Slightly over the original budget I think :** laughs out loud **: Agreed, they are a nice desk (=when I have some cash to spare).

Archived