Frequency Scanners

Multi-meter

Evening Everyone

Many years ago I watched a Production Engineer scan all radio frequencies via his laptop & Wi-Fi card to find clean frequencies for use. The name & maker of the soft wear and type used now escapes me and I'm interested in using it myself for future productions.

I have a vague memory of it being able to scan a large range, then display the results in a graph format showing how strong the signal was, if it was Radio, TV, Wi-Fi or Blue Tooth.

I can't remember if the application was free to use / download or required purchasing from a company or even legal in this country - not in the slightest suggesting the Prod Engineer was in the wrong, can't even remember if he was from the Uk.

Am I recalling two different soft wear types and believing they are one in the same? :( Are there any such computer programs available?

I'll leave you all thinking about this - no doubt some one may have info about this or you can correct me for making it all up.

Thanks

Ollie. :(

You're talking about some sort of RF spectrum analyser. And as you describe it, it would be a fairly wide-band device. It's unlikely to have used a wifi card as a sensor - they are limited to the 2.4GHz window, and in general have very limited sensor capabilities.

Something like the "wi-spy" - a USB device - http://www.metageek.com - can do more detailed Rf scans, but still limited to the 2.4GHz band. Useful for wifi, video senders, DECT and microwaves, but not for radio/tv/etc.

Some high-end radio mics (sennheiser 5000 etc) have add-ons which allow computer control/allocation of frequencies, with some sort of scanning ability - but again limited to a narrow frequency range.

I can't imagine a Wi-Fi card being designed to scan such a large range. However if you're making a PC Card for a laptop with an aerial in, it would probably look fairly similar to a WiFi card. Not much help really apart from that. Try Googling using the term spectrum analyser, certainly that's what the devices used for satellite strength in the broadcast world are called.

I've been looking for something similar ever since I retired and lost my access to "pukka" (and expensive) hardware spectrum analysers from work. So far, all I've come up with are ones for network engineers to use on WiFi.

The closest I found that would be useful for radio mics is ONE OF THESE which do interface to a PC. The frequency range and sensitivity look okay to me but I've not managed to try one out yet--I can't justify that price to myself.

It's worth pointing out that, even if you had such a thing, simply finding a blank frequency doesn't mean it's legal to transmit on. Similarly, you'd have to have a very good spectrum analyser to detect intermod products, though these can upset your frequency plan.

Bob

All of what Bobbsy says, However I have seen web mention of PC controlled stepping scanners - USB accessories I think! That may come close to the frequency search you want. Whether thy will cive you a spectrum analysis you would have to check.

If the idea is just to monitor radio mic channels - then a cheap hand-held scanner would seem the most handy and cheap way. I've got an IC-R2 Icom with all the VHF and UHF channels in the memory. It's easy to let it scan away and monitor what is in use. It is also a simple way of monitoring your kit when they are up and running - with a lug-plug in you can wander around and keep an ear on what is going on when you are away from the desk.

Evening All

Thanks everyone for you replies. Some good suggestions and points to keep in mind.

Paul, the screen image of WinRadio looks very similar. I'll have a good read of the website info to see if its the same program. But for now & cost limiting I'll start with a good hand held scanner.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Yours

Ollie.

I notice the Winradio site (very interesting...thank you for posting it, Brian/Lamplighter) has a list of compatible receivers and their capabilities--I'm sure you've already thought of this, but if you're even considering Winradio, it's worth getting something that could interface to the software in future.

Bob

That Winradio looks like quite a bit of kit! anyone know what the cost is?

As an alternative to something properly engineered like this you could use a TV tuner (one of those USB ones that gets you all the pay channels in the hotels) with a bit of software you could map the UHF band. Probably not as well because it would be wideband but it would be a start...

Back in the day when I did Cable TV we used to use a Swires Spectrum Analiser, Fab bit of kit it did 5-1000Mhz and you could open the bandwidth up to see a load of info. I just had a look on there website and this probably todays equiv.

http://www.swires.com/pdf/TVA2000QDS.pdf

not sure that itwould be a good alternative to the Winradio....

(Mutters a silent prayer that we NEVER need a 64QAM constellation analyser for radio mics. Getting my aging brain around that maths when I was in my 40s was a BAD idea...)

As a serious aside...with the current chaos in radio mic frequencies, particularly in the USA, several manufacturers are proposing digital systems in the 2.4GHz range. I wouldn't invest serious money to be ready "just in case" but anyone considering spectrum analysers should tuck that info in the back of their minds and, if possible, factor it into their gear choice if it doesn't break the bank. Then again, you could just buy a UHF device and use a cheapy wifi monitor if you ever need to look at 2.4 gigs.

Bob

I might point out that some of the cheap scanners on the market only cover the air band, and are therefore well out of the way of radio mics. Just a point, but worth checking before you buy.

We use a pc controlled receiver with some recording software to carry out noise monitoring on certain frequencies at work (navaids and the like). I think it's a little overkill for this though.

Our spectrum analyser at work still has big clunky rotary dials! I love it. Shame it can't be calibrated any more.

Archived