New mixer advice

misterbassman

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me.

I am looking for a new mixer for about £200 - £250.

I do mainly live sound work with small bands, but I also work at concerts requiring 2 or more cd players.

So ideal spec is 8 + mono channels and 4 stereo channels

Also Direct outs, 4 aux sends, and if possible four bus's is handy

At the moment I am looking at the behringer UB2442FX - PRO , I was wondering if anybody had experience of using this desk.

many thanks

Have you considered the Spirit M8?

http://www.studiospares.com/images/bigpics/267-110.jpg

8 mono in's 4 stereo in's 4 stereo returns, Direct out on each ch (switchable pre-post fade) and a hair above your budget at 269 at the moment from StudioSpares.

Just a thought.

James

I haven't done any 'proper' sound for a long while now. But about three years ago I spec'ed a small foldback & show relay system for an opera company - part of the spec was a Spirit Folio F1, which I believe was the predecessor (possibly a couple of generations ago) of the one that James recommends above. I can tell you that I thought it was tremendous value for money, and from what I hear the Spirit range has, if anything, improved since then, so I don't think you can go far wrong with James's recommendation.

I am looking at the behringer UB2442FX - PRO , I was wondering if anybody had experience of using this desk.

Last Xmas I bought myself the UB1832FX-PRO as one of the pressies to myself (beats socks anyday). For the money the Behringer mixers are very hard to beat. My observations are...

good - lots of features

good - inbuilt FX unit saves extra boxes = quick to set up

good - inbuilt mains power supply = no nasty wall-warts

bad - faders/group switches close together = hard to changes groups in a hurry

good - contrary to what people think/say you can buy spares for them

good - lots of features for your money

bad - pots & switches are maybe a bit fragile but keep it in a case and you'll be OK

On balance I am very pleased with it, if you can find a shop with one in go and have a play and see what it feels like to you.

If you max budget is £250 then you won't find anything to beat it. If you can find more money then the soundcraft stuff is good, if you can find even more have a look at the Mix Wizard range from Allen & Heath (I'm saving up).

Any more question feel free to ask.

What about the new MG series of mixers from Yahama?

The MG16/4 for example has 4 stereo inputs and 8 mono, with 2 aux outs, a main out and a group out. All metal contruction, rack ears, and only

£189 with discount from Turnkey. You may even get a better deal than I did if you shop around.

All this and it sounds great. After wanting a Soundcraft, I saw the Yahama, and it was streets ahead IMO.

Check it out.

I do mainly live sound work with small bands

The MG16/4 for example has 4 stereo inputs and 8 mono, with 2 aux outs

You'll soon find just 2 auxes very limiting for any live work, it means you can only run one fx unit and have one foldback feed. (OK you could stuff an fx onto the direct I/O for a channel).

The Yamaha MG16/6FX looks a bit more interesting with 3 aux and built in FX. Mind you at £250 it's still more expensive than the Behringer.

Just thought I'd chip in and add my recommendation of Behringer mixers for the low end - I was given a Eurorack MX2642A for Christmas last year (around £200 from Thomann) and although it hasn't been used intensively, it is still in great condition. Yes the build quality isnt A&H, but it has 4 groups + main out, 6 auxes, swept mid on the EQ, 8 mono and 4 stereo channels (+ 4 stereo returns) - for £200, you can't do much better than that.

Edit: Should add that the MX2642A has Direct Outs, but no inbuilt FX, although with 6 auxes and 4 stereo returns you'd be hard pushed on a small gig to "fill it up". Also has inserts on each channel.

• 3 weeks later...

The A+H Mix Wizard could be an option - not sure on price - I recommend this or the Spirit Folio SX.

By the way, does anyone know if you can buy from Allen + Heath a "wand" for the "Mix Wizard" and is it true that they are also bringing out the "Mix Witch" in mid-2004 and whether it is compatible with standard FDT (Fairy Dust Technology)

• 2 years later...

Sorry to open this up again but I am looking for a mixer to replace my soundcraft F1 , it will be used exactly the same as the OP wanted with the same budget, the reason I am opening this up again is because this topic is 2-3 years old, and I was wondering what else you would recommend on the market?

I was looking at something like the YAMAHA MG 16-6 FX

It will be rack mounted and ideally without a built in EQ, But it doesn't mater if it has one!

Rich

for live stuff personally id avoid beringer (analog desks anyway) they are made of cheese and are fine in the bedroom or home studio but tend to fall apart or bits stop working anyway with much serious use, though saying that they are incredible value for money considering what you get.

dose it have to be new? you can get something fairly serious for that sort of money 2nd hand, particularly if you keep your eyes open and aren't in a hurry

Tev

It could be second hand, and I could wait a month or so, but my Spirit F1 is only 2 years old and is already knacked due to other people using it and just generally being used alot, I mean alot. So I think second hand would just wreck it anyway. I am very keen on the Yamaha, especially as you can pick one up for £180 on eBay brand new, what are peoples opinion on these desks? They kinda look like the A&H Mix wizard aswell!

Rich

P.S Don't worry about this one getting damaged, it is for my use only, no-one Else's and will be in a padlocked case when I'm not using it!

The Blue room has a long term policy of avoiding phrases like "avoid behringer" tev 2.

You are entitled to the opinion, but if you do a google search you will find this topic has been covered ad nauseum for years. The evidence, based on user reports is pretty well that although the products may have some quality issues, they offer very good value for money. The forum is split pretty well 50/50 on the issue and rather than start it off again it's best to remember that most people who have the kit are happy with it, but everybody knows someone who has had problems.

I have plenty of it, and have had few issues - can we leave it there?

paul

. I am very keen on the Yamaha, especially as you can pick one up for £180 on eBay brand new, what are peoples opinion on these desks? They kinda look like the A&H Mix wizard aswell!

I have used the yamaha desk and it was good for the price, I would recommend it above behringer if you are on a budget,the knobs buttons and faders feel a lot better, like they would last longer. The soundcraft and allen&heath desks are definately worth the extra money in my opinon and as your desk is the main tool of your trade I would consider saving up .

I have used the yamaha desk and it was good for the price, I would recommend it above behringer if you are on a budget,the knobs buttons and faders feel a lot better, like they would last longer. The soundcraft and allen&heath desks are definately worth the extra money in my opinon and as your desk is the main tool of your trade I would consider saving up .

Truly I have about £450, However, this was going to new forks for my bike, and this breakdown was unexpected so I want to spend as little as possible! My favourite desk for this size range is the A&H Mix wizard, but I don't think I should be really spending that much again, when my parents almost had a heart attack when I told them im spending £2k on a pa system, only to find out that the mixer isn't any good and I need to spend £700 on a new mixer, because my mum will give me the lecture of "I knew this would happen, you think you know best when you rush in to buy something(I waited 6months) and then a few weeks lateer its no good and you need something better" I'm sure most of you no how it goes, but the Yamaha did look like a good bet, but it might be worth saving a bit more and getting my bike forks a bit later!

Archived