Stage Guns

andpuds

does anyone have any information about the regs for the use and storage of firearms in the theatre. Our SM has contacted the police who have no info, but I seem to remember that the regs for storing and use are similar to those for pyros, could anyone advise on this?

Gracias

As you haven't much time before your show, here are a couple of points from ABTT firearms code:

- weapons when not in use should be in a strong locked container which is not easily removeable from a locked room. Keys with responsible persons only, usually Stage Manager and Company Manager.

- Only remove as much ammo as is required for 1 performance or rehearsal.

- Never leave weapons or ammo unattended at any time.

- never use live ammo.

- sufficient rehearsal time should always be allowed. Rehearse in full lights first, before rehearsing in stage lights.

- weapons should be de-activated, ie only able to fire blanks. Ensure actor firing and all nearby are aware of where the gun vents, ie where the discharge from the gun comes out - and STAY CLEAR of it - it is VERY hot!!!!!

This is obviously not everything. but gives you an idea. If you don't know what you doing, don't do it! Safety is everything - get professional help in to advise you if needed. A lot of it is common sense, treat the weapon with respect.

Hope that helps, but do try and get hold of ABTT's firearms code

• 7 years later...

As you haven't much time before your show, here are a couple of points from ABTT firearms code:

- weapons when not in use should be in a strong locked container which is not easily removeable from a locked room. Keys with responsible persons only, usually Stage Manager and Company Manager.

- Only remove as much ammo as is required for 1 performance or rehearsal.

- Never leave weapons or ammo unattended at any time.

- never use live ammo.

- sufficient rehearsal time should always be allowed. Rehearse in full lights first, before rehearsing in stage lights.

- weapons should be de-activated, ie only able to fire blanks. Ensure actor firing and all nearby are aware of where the gun vents, ie where the discharge from the gun comes out - and STAY CLEAR of it - it is VERY hot!!!!!

This is obviously not everything. but gives you an idea. If you don't know what you doing, don't do it! Safety is everything - get professional help in to advise you if needed. A lot of it is common sense, treat the weapon with respect.

Hope that helps, but do try and get hold of ABTT's firearms code

And, of course, when on stage you should never point a firearm, blank or otherwise, whether or not you intend to fire on them at that time, directly at the actor; in proscenium theatre you can solve this by pointing the weapon a foot or so US of them, but in other layouts you may need to get creative so the audience don't see it. That just means that an accidental discharge, or a bit of crap in the barrel, will not put the actor at risk.

My impression of mock firearms in theatres is people are aware of the above stuff, but not with more fundamental handling rules. I've seen people who are nominally the gun wrangler for a show carrying a mock at chest height, finger on trigger, or taking it from the Duty Manager (who in our theatre has the keys to the strongbox) without checking that it's unloaded etc. To use a well-worn example, Brandon Lee (son of Bruce) was killed on set after a blank-firing weapon pointed at him was discharged at close range - although admittedly there was a mechanical failure as well (part of the previous round had lodged in the barrel). The prevailing advice from other countries where you can actually own a handgun, and which is probably in the ABTT CoP-006 is:

- Treat a firearm as if it is loaded, even if you just unloaded it. Point the muzzle in a safe direction (usually the floor) at all times.

- Keep the safety catch on (or the hammer decocked, for revolvers) and your finger outside the trigger guard until you are ready to fire

- When you receive a firearm from someone, engage the safety catch. Remove the magazine, cycle the action a few times and look down the barrel (see below) to confirm it's empty.

- When troubleshooting problems with a firearm, NEVER look down the barrel from the muzzle end to see if it's clear - Top Gear's James May did this on air to clear a shotgun, and the instructor rightly knocked the weapon aside and took it from him. For magazine-fed firearm, remove the magazine, pull back the action and look through the ejection port to check the barrel is clear. For revolvers, release and swing out the cylinder, then look through the resulting gap in the frame.

I realise this post is waaaay out of date for the OP's intended purpose but I just thought I'd leave my opinion, as there's a sticky linking to this.

Archived