Microphone Cable

Mike Courtney

I am at the point where I am going to replace all my mic cables. So I am after opinions on what to buy. I am replacing approx 400m of cable.

Someone said VD cables but I find them quite expensive. I need a cable that is easy to coil and doesn't kink like the cheapo stuff.

Mike

Klotz is £1.75 ish from Studiospares or there is their cheapo mic cable at £45 per 100 metres. Ultimately you get what you pay for and VDC and Kelsey will be good too. Don't be too cheapo on this - you can't afford cheap cable to not be sufficiently robust to last more than a couple of jobs.

Canford aren't the most expensive for bulk cable and have a wide choice (they even do a "sheep proof starquad"). Depending on the environment you will need to consider using double screened or starquad cable. I'm ex beeb and have worked in or with TV studios and OBs so it's starquad all the way for me.

I recently had a bulk cable replacement run, mainly because I'd accrued various cables from all over of random lengths and some pretty poor quality too. I decided it was time to standardise.

I bought from The Warehouse in Scotland. I bought Klotz MY206 which has been really good ever since. Nice and flexible, feels robust and their pricing on it is really good too. Their website is currently being rebuilt so you'd have to place the order by phone, but it's still worth a browse;

http://www.warehousesound.co.uk/onlineshop/products-page/category/cable-bulk-signal/klotz-my206sw-prof-microphone-cable-my206-black-sold-per-m/

Very friendly people too! :-)

I just worked out that my oldest cable made with Canford HST dates from 1983 when I had to make up a bunch of long ones for a special event (don't shoot me...Maggie Thatcher was opening our building and we needed mics all over the place). Guess that means Simon beats me by a year, but still not too shabby. FYI, I don't think I've had to fix/change more than one Neutrik connector in that time either--the same doesn't apply to my forays into cheaper alternatives.

I even have some ex install grey RS mic cable that was 20 years ago taken from an industrial install & made into mic leads. Although its not got the coiling ability of todays VDC/HST/Mogami etc it is still working fine. I feel so old now. Have been using HST for many a year with no problems.

Archived