movers

Marineboy63

I'm a bit old school regarding movers. I'm of the opinion that the best place for a moving light in in a flight case.

However, I'm about put a generic multi purpose rig in the venue at which I work and we own 6 Robe 250 wash lights (Whoopee!) and 2 Robe 575 spots and I feel obliged to use them.

My question is: where should I put them?

I was considering putting the 2 spot FOH and maybe having the washes 3 downstage and 3 upstage for front and back colour. Would the washes be better at the sides?

Any opinions?

Cheers.

What is this generic multi purpose rig actually for - music, theatre, dance, all of them?

I would probably not use the movers as part of a generic rig - keep it simple and generic, then use the movers as specials put in for specific uses.

If I was pushed to have to rig them as a generic rig, I would probably stick them all on an upstage bar and use them as effects and twinkly stuff.

Will there be people who can effectively operate the lights if you include them? (I assume there is suitable control for them). If so then the wash lights could provide a good back light that could work for most things. The spots out front somewhere might give quick and easy specials, but less useful depending on application.

If you don't rig them then adding in cable to allow you to quickly rig later down the line would be good.

Personally, I look on movers in different ways depending on what I'm lighting.

Dance shows and variety stuff they'll likely get whizzed and popped around anywhere I can see them making pretty pretty, because that's what these types of shows seem to want.

However, I'd still happily use them for even a straight drama if they were already in the tool box - though you'd be hard pushed to see any moving beams in such - I'd just treat them as a versatile spot or wash to light areas or highlight specifics etc etc.

That said, I'd likely position them very differently for every show they were used for, because that's just what you really should be doing - placing the kit where it's going to hit whatever area you need it to, whether it moves or not

Remember, movers don't have to move (in a state).

Movers can just be a nice convenient way of saving the number of fixtures that need to be rigged. They do different colours, different positions, different gobos. They can just do one thing at a time if you like, but that can change scene to scene depending on requirement.

As was alluded to above, in a multi-use space, my instinct for 8 moving spots would just be all on the upstage bar. Backlight is something they generally do well.

But remember about maintenance - they can need work doing. Will they be easy enough to get down? A floor package might be more practical, but equally in a school might provoke more possibility for getting damaged in the first place.

Personally I'd probably have the washes upstage for coloured backlight (both general and specials), and the spots in the DS corners to do gobo washes (assuming the beam angle works and they have useful gobos for creating breakup washes).

Y'all may have missed the numbers in the original post? OP doesn't have 8 spots, TC, he has 2 spots and 6 washlights :)

Ooops! Thanks for the correction. And IMO - even better!

Are they CMY fixtures? The range of colours can be great and cut back on gel cost.

As has been said, still U/S. The concept of using the spots as gobo washes D/S is valid. Spots upstage can be nice for profiling instrumentalists without shining it in their faces.

Always contrary, but I'd rather have the washes downstage, and the two that can throw a few beams and gobos upstage. I realise backlight looks good (cue the other topic on this) but I've always found faces more useful - and they need lighting, so that's what I'd be using them for. When things like the spots are available, I've never found them much use from the front, while upstage, pointing downstage, they can do nice gobo washes and add some texture. I do agree, though - that they don't have to move.

I've always found faces more useful - and they need lighting, so that's what I'd be using them for.

Bear in mind this is in addition to the house conventional stock (which isn't listed).

I don't think anyone will disagree faces need to be lit... but I'm not sure they need to be lit with the level of flexibility offered by a moving head wash. I'm sure some PCs on the downstage would do alright.

maybe - I know I'm a lone voice, but I've got 4 moving head LED washes on the front truss, and another 4 on LX1 and for the first time ever I have an even colour wash, plus you can concentrate it away from the edges, which you can't with fixed Fresnels or PCs. With my usual coverage, there are always some areas that you miss - looks really good but then you discover that the angles where they cross leave a 'hole'. with the movers, I can do area lighting with no climbing up a ladder. I do use backlight from PARs, and some LED cans, but I like front light best.

maybe - I know I'm a lone voice, but I've got 4 moving head LED washes on the front truss, and another 4 on LX1

Not a lone voice, I have 4 on my LX1 and I find it really useful for low-light front lighting, like where I want the band to be seen, but not really make a point of them, if that makes sense?

For reds, dark blues and ambers, it's a great utility to have. Truth be told it could be done with LED PARs too, but the fact they're movers gives them a bit more flexibility for different acts / layouts on stage, or facing them straight down for work light. so no, you're not alone http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

but I have a total of 59 washes in the rig, 50 of which are on the upper half of the stage, so my point sort of still stands re: where to put 6.

Archived