Fairy wand Cinderella

jckk335

Hi I have to make a fairy wand for cinderella which fires a pyro gunshot at a certain cue. I have got the ok for the firing mechanism but the cost of the pyro that I have sourced is too much in cost. I have gone for le Matire gun flash with sparkle as it can be mounted inside the wand. I am looking for a cheaper alternative which is £50 or less. Any help would be helpful

Well a quick google produces half a dozen places selling that precise model for under £50...

HOWEVER aside from all the usual caveats and legal obligations that come with using pyro's you also need to be aware that this is a relatively fragile piece of equipment. If you don't use the right combination of consumables (more than one product which must be used in the right combination) or load the device carefully and precisely then it is incredibly easy to break key components or at least dramatically shorten their lifespan. In the rough-n-tumble of panto (and assuming you don't have an experienced staff member who knows the best tricks for prepping this unit) I'd realistically expect you would have to be replacing the coil a couple of times at least.

+1 for the confetti cannon.

We did a panto in April with the confetti cannon as an exploding wand. It worked well enough and the risk assessment was fairly straightforward even for 14 year olds. Just needed a two handed wand action. We also had a scripted 'Safety Elf' quick sweep to get rid of the worst of the confetti because if there was a lot it could make the floor slippy. We used these for speed and just swept the stuff off the front of the stage onto a dust sheet (but not into the band) and sorted it out after the show.

I'm still sweeping it up though. I've heard the glitter is even harder to get rid of.

...le Matire gun flash with sparkle...

So we're talking product code PP243? And you've been quoted a figure of around £130, incl VAT, for a box of 20.

Have you seen them in real life? They're quite a, well, gun-like effect. Not what I would see a fairy using unless it was an evil fairy and the person on the other end was definitely not going to appear in Act 2.

They're in the 17mm tube package and you could use the same package for any number of devices. But, you're still going to be paying similar money for each device.

You say you have a budget of £50. How many shows is this for? A few rehearsals and a couple of community venue productions, or a 70-show regional theatre panto run?

Those are certainly a possibility, and the running costs are a lot less too. It's just he specifically mentioned 'gun flash with sparkle' which is the actual name of a Le Maitre device.

Hopefully the OP will come back and clear up a few things.

Ice Fountains also make a very good fairies wand.

They're quite a, well, gun-like effect. Not what I would see a fairy using unless it was an evil fairy and the person on the other end was definitely not going to appear in Act 2.

Sounds like a Davie Dimmers pantomime. And that's a pantomime I'd pay to see...

Archived