Stage Champagne

Suzette

Just wondering if anyone had a contact number for any company that may supply stage champagne? I know Moet & Chandon used to supply bottles free to theatre companies but don't know if they still do. They were sealed champagne bottles but full of ginger ale rather than the proper stuff.

Does anyone know any more than me ??

Cheers

Moet used to be very generous but tightened things up more recently. Last time I had stuff from them they would only give us the number of bottles actually opened on stage. For the rest we had to refill with our own Ginger Ale.

Give them a call and ask to speak to Customer Relations or their Press Office - actually just tell the person who answers the phone what you want as they may have a department that deals only with this.

Be sure to convince them that there's no way any bottles could make their way to the general public - I once had Beer cans filled with fizzy water (50 cases of very disappointing Kestrel SUper, as it happens!!!) for a show, and the brewery's big worry was ppeople taking them back to off-licences demanding a refund. Re-assure them about this before they have a chance to voice their fear, and it'll go along way!

HTH

OT (sorry) - I once left a bottle of Stage Champagne in the fridge of a flat I was moving out of as a joke. My Step-Mother saw it and (thinking it to be real) nicked it and proceeded to serve it at a dinner party! They'd given out most of the bottle before she tasted it herself and realised. Ha

I have always found Moet real jobsworths, but Verve Cliquot really helpful. V.C. have given me fake champagene on several occasions (although I haven't tried for a couple of years now). It depends on what they have in stock in their warehouses. They are usually happy with a mention in the programme and a couple of freebies.

Hi Lucy,

Don't suppose you have a number for Verve Clicquot do you? A google and BT search cannot find a number, or do you know what town they are based in?

You are quite right ... Moet Chandon weren't very helpful, unless you are a big, national, well-known company (that can give then lots of publicity) they don't want to know. I even offered to buy it from them but no luck.

Thanks to all for your help (inc yell.com - didn't search there, cheers James). Veuve Clicquot are being very helpful and hopefully will come up trumps. I am hoping a case of champers will arrive on my doorstep soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming that as your asking for sealed bottles of champagne, your planning to have an actor open it on stage... does this not scream disaster to anyone else?

I personally (as an lx guy) cant think of a safe place in a theatre to aim a champagne cork... ok well I'd aim it at the audience personally but HSE aint all to keen on that! :huh:

Tom

I'm assuming that as your asking for sealed bottles of champagne, your planning to have an actor open it on stage... does this not scream disaster to anyone else?

I personally (as an lx guy) cant think of a safe place in a theatre to aim a champagne cork... ok well I'd aim it at the audience personally but HSE aint all to keen on that! :rolleyes:

Tom

It is just as easy to open a bottle of champagne without the cork shooting all over the place. You just hold onto the cork.

After my post that V.C. were being really helpful and I was just waiting for delivery.....

I had an email 3 weeks later saying they were unable to help.

We have had to resort to champagne bottle with shaved down cork that the actor opens on stage, doesn't look like what we wanted!!

Hi,

Don't know if it's too late, but I've just had a quote for some stage champagne (non-alcoholic) from a company called LoNo, www.lono.co.uk. They supply a fair number of West End productions, and seem pretty cheap (ask him to do you a deal...)

The guy to talk to is Dale.

Bear in mind I've never used the stuff, but I think it's in Jumpers at the moment, so you could go and have a live demonstration!

Hope that helps.

Phil

Archived